Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers MODIFIED ROLAND 500

• MODIFIED ROLAND 500

Posted by Ian Higgins on June 17, 2004 at 12:21 pm

Hi folks,

I have been offered a Roland 500 54″ print & Cut machine modified to take solvent inks the same as the cadet.
    I just wondered if anyone has any information on this or if anyone runs one.
    I am led to belive it is the predecessor to the grenadier?
    I comes with 6 months on site warrenty and all rips etc so i am very tempted..
    any info would be greatly appreciated..

Rodney Gold replied 19 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Peter Munday

June 17, 2004 at 12:39 pm

Higgi

I bought a resolve machine from B&P wich is a modified Roland printing solvent based inks.
    I was led to believe it would print on most uncoated materials, this turned out to be false and I find myself limited to certain materials, also supplied by the above. Don’t get me wrong as this machine has its good points but it is limited.

Peter

• Rodney Gold

June 17, 2004 at 1:25 pm

The Pro II ex prints almost 4x faster in ANY mode then the 500 , in terms of digital printing , time is money. So at a 1/2 or a 1/4 of the price of a new PRO II 540 EX , its worthwhile. at 80% of the price , it’s NOT a worthy contender.
    Apart from that fact , the 540 Pro II was designed for solvent based printing (there are sockets for heaters on the motherboard) , the heater/solvent setup on the 500 is very much a retrofit – the 500 was NOT designed to take a heated platten.
    Splash of color did modded 500’s etc. Look at their website , specifically under spare parts (I think its under support) and you will see pumps , dampers , capping stations and heads – thats NOT a good sign in my book!!!! – IE my intimation is that these expensive parts are treated as consumables!!
    What price is this machine going for? compare the HP/leasing costs etc to a brand new state of the art machine.