Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Mimaki JV2 180 doing everything but firing ink out of head

• Mimaki JV2 180 doing everything but firing ink out of head

Posted by mobedia on September 8, 2009 at 3:30 am

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a Mimaki JV2 180. The unit was purchased, with the heads needing to be replaced. I have replaced the heads and the ink is flowing nicely through the dampers, through the heads and into the ink station.

When we either try sending a print job to it, the head moves from side to side as if it is printing, but nothing is coming out.

We also have tried running the test print and still nothing comes out.

The person we purchased it from mentioned to check the 4 ribbon cables running from the mainboard into the slider board as they may be askew, but would one of these really cause this issue ? The cutter, paper sensor all work fine which means some data is getting back from the head.

We have tried replacing everything in line to the head, including the heads and still nothing… sooo close !

Its the same unit, as per a question asked on this forum previously at the end of this thread [ https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.p … jv2#285618 ]

Any advice would be highly appreciated

Ian Stewart-Koster replied 13 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Michael Antrum

September 9, 2009 at 6:49 pm

When you changed the heads was the machine isolated from the mains ?

These machines are fitted with fuses to protect the delicate head driver IC’s. If the ribbons to the head were plugged in or pulled out whilst the mains power is in (even when the machine is switched off) this can blow these fuses.

A simple multi-meter will tell you if they have blown. If you don’t know where these fuses are on the board I’d give Mimaki a call (I dont’t have the circuit diagram for this particular machine). I think on this model they were soldered on – and soldering on new ones is great fun.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• mobedia

September 10, 2009 at 3:25 am

The machine was possibly not isolated from the mains when this was done.

Both the Head FPC cables going from the slider board to the heads where a bit dodgy, had bent pins and a bit of scoring.. so we have ordered a new set of those.

I asked the Mimaki tech here and he said the only fuses where on the main power board.. (these soldered on fuses sound daunting, but I would still love to know where they are if anyone knows.)

I have sourced a replacement slider board as I suspect this may be the issue we are having.

Has anyone ever had to replace the Mainboard in a Mimaki did they ever found out what failed on the mainboard ?

Cheers

• mobedia

October 8, 2009 at 4:03 am

Turned out to be the Mainboard was stuffed.
    Replaced the mainboard and it all started working again. My mates who’s an electrical technician reckons the FPG head driver chips on the mainboard where blown.

• Ian Stewart-Koster

August 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm

How is your JV2-180 going now, over the past year?
    Are you happy with it?
    (I am considering one here in Australia, retrofitted with full solvent inks CMYK & LC LM.)