Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Mimaki CJV30 -160 : Creating colour profiles – RIP Required

• Mimaki CJV30 -160 : Creating colour profiles – RIP Required

Posted by Mark Elvin on August 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

Hi All,

We have just had installed a new CJV30 with Rasterlink RIP. I am advised that the RIP cannot be used to create custom profiles – that we would need to buy Mimaki’s Colour Profile add on – a little over 4K!

I am therefore thinking of investing in another RIP that will allow us to create our own profiles as we tend to use many types of media and colour consistency is critical on certain jobs.

Can any one offer any advice or have experience of creating colour profiles using a Mimaki with a different RIP?

Many thanks, Mark

Stafford Cox replied 11 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David Rowland

August 19, 2012 at 8:40 am

morning Mark,
    First off can we clarify if you have an eye-one or similar profile reading device?

I think you got to look at the device you might have and get software that creates the ICC profile, many RIPs should read this ok (so i am told).

I have only experimented with Onyx Production House with an Eye-one

Majority of printer owners do just "live with it" and download profiles from the material makers website, Rasterlink being "well known" with the Mimaki means that the likelyhood of getting profiles is very high for that combination.

• Mark Elvin

August 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hi Dave,

That was quick off the mark! No, we haven’t yet bought a spectrometer. Any insight into what we should get would also be appreciated.

I understand what you are saying about downloading profiles, but that means, many times, using / buying media for those profiles as we are finding that the "generic" profiles are just not close enough to the colours we want.

We have several clients who expect colour to be as close as humanly possible and that is the reason we were thinking of investing in a RIP and measuring device that would allow us the flexibility to create our own profiles for whatever media we choose to use.

Mark

• Martin Pearson

August 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

If you already have a profile for the media & ink you are using can you not just tweak that profile to get closer to what you actually want?? Colour profiling is a bit of a black art, so many different variables to account for so can take years to gain the required experience.
    Not a rasterlink user so not sure what sort of control you have over ink channels sorry. As for hardware for profiling I was looking at the colour monkey photo a while back which might be worth looking at although maybe not quite high end enough for your needs.

• David Rowland

August 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

well dont forget your workflow is also in question, we are corel based and I know that play’s havok with the outputs, you also got Rendering Intent to consider.

I have profiles our flatbed to match but I was using Onyx Production House trial at the time. I wont recommend anything as I don’t know the CJV but i did know the earlier models.

Just remember we are talking a few thousand here to sort things out.

• Stafford Cox

August 22, 2012 at 8:10 am

There are many RIPs that offer a profiling solution, but they do tend to hike the price up unfortunately.

I’ve done a little bit of profiling in Onyx and Versaworks and quite a lot in Shiraz. I find that people are more willing to buy a standard version of the RIP and pay for somebody to come in and use their version of RIP and their specrometer to create bespoke profiles for that site.

I can’t really speak for Onyx but there’s a free 15 day trial version of Shiraz RIP that you can run to see if it suits you, then buy it if you like it. You may find that the profiles are closer than those of the standard Rasterlink RIP.

Stafford