Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl METAMARK MDP High Tack 100 Mic

• Jamie Wood

June 5, 2023 at 12:10 pm

As you are probably aware, this can happen if the blade is slighty too deep, and cuts into the backing sheet. However, as it is happening in other areas that haven’t been kiss-cut, I would say that it points toward a material fault of some kind.

• Charlotte Wallbank

June 5, 2023 at 12:55 pm

Its happening in no particular place, Metamark are adamant its not a material issue, I beg to differ.

• Jamie Wood

June 5, 2023 at 1:03 pm

Looks like a material issue to me….if it’s happening in an area which isn’t kiss-cut, then I can’t see how it could be anything else. Maybe get your Metamark rep in for a visit. Our rep is very good, and always tries to sort out issues.

• Colin Crabb

June 5, 2023 at 5:57 pm

Backing 100% – and it doesn’t look like the normal backing (no grid and ‘Metamark’)

• Jamie Wood

June 6, 2023 at 7:57 am

We’ve been getting a lot of Metamark with no markings on the backing sheet. I was told that there was a shortage, so they had to use unbranded.

• Colin Crabb

June 6, 2023 at 8:50 am

Same here, and some of those backing seem ‘different’, not normal high quality.

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    June 6, 2023 at 11:29 am

Hi Charlotte

Is the issue happening all to one side of the roll?
    By that I mean, all “nearer” the right-hand side edge of the roll or is it both sides and down the middle?

• Charlotte Wallbank

June 6, 2023 at 12:00 pm

As far as I can tell, all over.

This is the feedback also from my customers, unfortunately.

• Charlotte Wallbank

June 6, 2023 at 12:01 pm

Some even think I have sent out stickers that are not sticky..

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    June 6, 2023 at 6:33 pm

Obviously, I can only go from what I can see in your photos, Video and read, but from this, my opinion is that there is some sort of manufacturing fault.

Blade pressure issue:
    This could well be an issue, but I would expect a sharp clean consistent cut line around the graphic.
    Your pictures show a shearing tear of the paper where the letter has been cut. This isn’t what I would expect to see.

Lining Paper shearing down one edge:
    This can happen if the roll is placed down hard on its end and something on the floor nicks or crushes into the paper and vinyl. This can create a little tear line that when you peel the paper away, causes the lining paper to shear.
    However, looking at the paper along that edge shows zero damage.

Looking at another Photo, you can see that although the edge has zero damage and the paper is shearing, you can also see that the contour cut graphics in this photo are cut perfectly and have NOT caused the paper to shear.

If it was the blade pressure, the Paper would not be sheering down the edges of the roll.

What else could cause this?
    Damp or moist lining paper that has had a chance to dry out. I have seen similar happen, and doesn’t need to be wet, but stood on end on a cold stone floor without a plastic end cap to levitate the material.
    Vinyl that has passed its shelf life can sometimes become difficult to separate from the lining paper, but I have seen that sheer like this.

Either of the above normally have telltale signs of warping of the paper, yellowing of the paper etc. I do not see that in any of your photos.

Metamark changing their lining paper may well be an issue, as a result.

• Jeff

June 7, 2023 at 11:37 am

Is it just me, or am I seeing a pattern of complaints forming with Metamark? 🤨

• Charlotte Wallbank

June 7, 2023 at 3:32 pm

Not sure Jeff, Can I assume I am not the only one?

• Mark Johnston

June 8, 2023 at 11:02 am

hi charlotte
    I dont know what Jeff is referring to but i think some Metamark issues have been discussed a few times on this website recently. i don’t know if its the same problem you are having though.

• Jeff

June 8, 2023 at 12:54 pm

@charlotte-wallbank

i just mean that i have saw multiple posts complaining about the quality of different vinyl makes or maybe vinyl failing since covid i think. and metamarks name has surfaced a few times. i don’t remember specifics so i cant say if any are similar problems to you are having.

• Hugh Potter

June 9, 2023 at 10:06 am

personally I would say that if the backing is coming away with the contour cut graphics, you need to lower the cut pressure so allow for the (probably thinner) backing, that loks obvious to me. A contour cut can be perfect but if it’s too deep, you get what you have here.

Regarding the edge separating, I’ve had it over the years where the backing has some kind of small nick in the edge, which then tears and continues as shown, pulling that torn bit up right away would prevent it continuing, though not ideal. It might be that the edge isn’t as cleanly cut, either from factory or on the bench. I’ve also had it happen on site when the edge of the backing has got wet and it delaminated the backing like that.

I can’t say for sure that it’s not the material at fault, but I would be looking at the blade pressure first, then take a look at the roll edges.

• Karen White

June 12, 2023 at 8:25 pm

it is so frustrating when something like this happens. i hope you get it sorted out Charlotte.

• Pane Talev

June 16, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Knife pressure on high tack should be spot on.

I did a job yesterday.

All test cuts here in workshop were ok.

At the time of installation the following day, the vinyl was not coming off easy from the backing paper. I had same tears like you have on the photos.

This situation will be a tricky one to judge I think.

Using a tweezer I managed to fix everything.

I will be asking a client to sign a waver (for self installation) from now on for high tack vinyl.

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    June 20, 2023 at 6:19 pm

@pane-talev1

Is it Metamark you are using also?

• Pane Talev

June 23, 2023 at 1:17 pm

@RobertLambie

ORAJET 3554 Brick Stone Film

Happened to me before also on the solid colours high tack from Mac Tac.

Sending these to clients for self install is risky. If paper doesn’t release quickly client will not bother with tweezers and knife to pick up letters. So you either cut again for free, or lose client…

• RobertLambie

Administrator
        June 28, 2023 at 3:16 pm

I haven’t used that actual film from Oracal, so cannot comment on its performance.
        But it is interesting that the same issue is arising but with a different manufacturer.
        I say that because I personally have seen various “quality” issues arising throughout Covid with other manufacturers. Something I would have thought to have phased out and returned to normal by now, but it appears not to be the case.