Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Metal Cladding Screws, advice needed.

  • Metal Cladding Screws, advice needed.

    Posted by Karen White on January 12, 2024 at 7:42 am

    Morning guys.

    I have someone fitting warehouse signs for me and i need to buy the proper screws for the job.
    the building is corrugated metal cladding. i know the screws have been mentioned on here a couple of times but because i do not know their name, i cant search for them. if that makes sense?

    any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.


    Karen White replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Frederick McLean

    January 12, 2024 at 11:31 am

    Tek Screws Karen.

  • David McDonald

    January 13, 2024 at 2:18 pm

    Hi Karen

    If you’re screwing to Kingspan type insulated cladding then these composite screws are very good. They come in a variety of lengths to suit the thickness of the cladding. The cladding only has a thin foil of aluminium front and back and these screws mean that your load weight is distributed over the full thickness of the panel and both the front and rear skins of aluminium.



  • Colin Crabb

    January 14, 2024 at 2:49 pm

    If the screw head will be seen, I prefer self-drilling with a coloured head version, instead of a Tek Screw with a coloured cap.

    Self Drilling Colour Headed Screws – 25mm

  • Robert Lambie

    January 17, 2024 at 8:40 am

    Hi Karen

    As the others have stated, there are different types and lengths of Tech or Tek Screw available.
    They really are an “all in one” type of fixing to metal buildings and framing.

    To keep it simple, I have attached pictures of 3 Screw Tech Screws.

    1. The one with the OPEN threads and Spade Tip are used for drilling into general thin steel and aluminium.
    2. The one with the TIGHT threads and Spade Tip are used for drilling into hard steel frames and beams. (Do not use on general metal cladding buildings or alloy)
    3. The one with the OPEN Threads and Pointed Tip, are for drilling into wood.
      If drilling into SOFT metal cladding, these can be great to use to get a stronger fixing but you require drilling a 3mm pilot hole first.

  • Robert Lambie

    January 17, 2024 at 8:44 am

    Also, regardless of the tech screw you choose. You are going to need a Tech-Bit to drive the screw.
    You can buy these screws and the bits from Amazon, Screwfix, Toolbase etc.

  • Karen White

    January 22, 2024 at 12:04 pm

    thank you all very much. That was a great help, i was able to pick them up from screwfix. 😃

Log in to reply.