• MACTAC 8200

Posted by Jane Snell on April 6, 2009 at 10:27 am

I am looking at using Mactac 8200 for some stencils that I am creating. Does anyone know if this vinyl comes with 3 layers ie the silicone backing, the vinyl and a clear plastic over the top or is the clear plastic applied over the top of the vinyl after cutting and I need to buy that separately.

Sorry for this maybe being a silly question, but not done this before.

Jane Snell replied 15 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Adrian Yeo

April 6, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Hi Jane

Is that Macal 8200? It will come with a backing but you will have to laminate. Out of interest why do you need to laminate solid vinyl?

I notice from your previous posts that you are making airbrush stencils for tattoos etc. Do you intend to use this material for that purpose? Might find the adhesive is a little aggressive for skin application!

• Jane Snell

April 6, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. I did mean Macal 8200. How would you laminate it and what with?

I gather from someone in the industry that so long as I use a product that has a water based polyacrylate adhesive it should be okay and not a problem. I know someone else already uses this product as it is a water based polyacrylate for the same application. Water based polyacrylate is the same as what is used in plasters from what I can establish. However, she has 3 layers so wondered what the third layer was and how you get it on the vinyl. This link might help you understand what I am after creating –

http://www.spectrumfaceandbodyart.com.a … e_Stencils

It would seem for all these suppliers the popular choice whether in the UK or anywhere else is vinyl for sign making. I also know that Avery is used by another company whom I believe have switched to an Oracal product.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to pin anyone down to a constructive answer on these things as those that already use them for producing airbrush stencils won’t tell you what they use and its only through delving and asking other people who buy the product I’ve managed to find out anything at all. Have asked previously on here if anyone knew what was being used but had no real useful info back as presumably nobody knows the full answer.

• Michael Potter

April 7, 2009 at 12:49 am

Hi Jane
    We have done air brush tattoo’s at markets etc. over several years now.
    We normally use normal masking vinyl from Avery or Mactac. when needed ( desperate) we have used normal mactac 9800 with good results. The 9800 can only be used once but the masking vinyl can be used several times, we have also used sandblast vinyl.
    cheers Mike

• Adrian Yeo

April 7, 2009 at 6:01 am

Hi Jane

I know what they are, my wife used to use the Su-do range for body art and Media stencils for nail art.

The ‘top’ layer is either a clear laminate film or possibly a clear polyester product. Not sure on the material ref’s though.

good luck 😀

• Jane Snell

April 7, 2009 at 6:34 am

Thanks everyone for the replys. Will look into the sandblast materials and other MacTac suggested.

With the laminate I presume I would buy that separately and would I need something ie a machine to apply it to the vinyl once cut or do I do it manually. If I need a machine does one from an ordinary office store suffice? Has anyone any idea?

Thanks.