Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions CNC Router and Engraving looking for some help with a gravograph IS400 Problem?

• looking for some help with a gravograph IS400 Problem?

Posted by brasscutter on March 18, 2004 at 9:13 pm

Hi folks, I am hoping someone can help me. I have a Gravograph IS 400 computer driven engraving machine. My problem may be solved by someone with an identical machine.
    The setup is used to cut small names etc onto and into pieces of gold. Yesterday the machine started on the first job but the cutter would not spin.
    After a bit of fiddling the cutting tool started to outline the job but the cutter still did not spin. I am reluctant to reinstall the software if it is a hardware fault, and I am reluctant to call in an engineer if it is a software fault.
    Has anyone come across a similar problem?
    Can anyone offer any information

brasscutter replied 19 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rodney Gold

March 19, 2004 at 5:35 am

Have you tried another job which HAS worked? Or is it only with that job that that happens.
    I have manual graovgraph machines , so cant be absolutely specific on the software/hardware issue
    You could look to see if the spindle works on a microswitch and check that , check the software for any configuration that tells it to start the spindle is unchecked , and check the motor irself to see if it is working.
    Wont the local agents talk you over the problem on the phone before sending out an engineer , as you say , it might be something real simple.

• brasscutter

March 19, 2004 at 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. At times like this you are gald that you are not alone. I cannot say that we have good relations with the local agents, we are trying to avoid contacting them. I have been away from the bench today but I will try running one of our sucessful projects and see what happens. Unfortunately I thing it is hardware not software (although) we have had some issues here as well.

Ah well – I need my beauty sleep.

• brasscutter

June 21, 2004 at 8:24 pm

Solution. We decided we were not going to pay the charges for an engineer to call since the engineering company could not suggest the possible cause of the fault. (The machine was out of warranty anyway.) One hour late we had the spindle out and diagnosed two worn bearing. A quick searh on the net and we had 4 new bearings ( 2 were for spare). Hey presto we are back in business.