Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Liquid damage to xc540 Printhead circuit board

• Liquid damage to xc540 Printhead circuit board

Posted by Jamie Dale on October 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Hi all,

Today I was manually flushing one of my print heads using a tool which basically is a syringe connected to a damper of which you push your cleaning fluid through… of which when I was doing this I didn’t notice at the time the damper has a small hole of which the cleaning fluid was squirting out over one of my printhead circuit boards.

I tried drying this with some lint free clothes and a small cold blower of approx an hour, then started the machine up. of which the yellow/black now is not firing at all.

Could anyone recommend anything to me? other than call an engineer.

I’m guessing the fuse for yellow/black has been blown but does anyone else know if anything else usually goes.

Cheers again guys, Jamie.

Alex Var. replied 12 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Kevin Flowers

October 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Jamie
    if you are lucky you have just blown the fuse, however if you are unlucky you may have damaged the heads. Roland will sell you the fuse they are very hard to locate anywhere else, ensure you use small tipped soldering iron. Best of luck

Kev

• Jamie Dale

October 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm
    quote Kevin Flowers:

Jamie
    if you are lucky you have just blown the fuse, however if you are unlucky you may have damaged the heads. Roland will sell you the fuse they are very hard to locate anywhere else, ensure you use small tipped soldering iron. Best of luck

Kev

Hi Kev,

I’ve got about 10 spare ones…. Digisupplies sell them for only 3euro each, they aint that hard to come by 🙂 why would I need the soldering iron though?

Yeah i’m really really hoping it’s just the fuse… I’ve got a cold fan blowing on the circuit all night so hopefully in the morning it will fire back up… or i’ll start crying 😛

• Andrew Martin

October 3, 2011 at 8:36 pm

If your machine was switched off at the mains before the the cleaning fluid came in contact with the print head circuit and you dried it thoroughly before switching on then i would guess no electrical damage was caused.

Its more likely the action of air being blown around the head/circuit has evaporated the solvent on the nozzles and left the pigment clogging them.

• Kevin Flowers

October 3, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hi Jamie
    the head fuses are normally soldered on to the board, they are about 3mm, oblong in shape silver each end if my memory serves me right.

Kev

Attachments:

• Jamie Dale

October 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm
    quote Andrew Martin:

If your machine was switched off at the mains before the the cleaning fluid came in contact with the print head circuit and you dried it thoroughly before switching on then i would guess no electrical damage was caused.

Its more likely the action of air being blown around the head/circuit has evaporated the solvent on the nozzles and left the pigment clogging them.

Hi Andrew, the machine was switched off correctly, I dabbed the printhead board lightly with a lint free cloth to get the excess away, then I put a fan on it for approx 30mins, then I switched on… so I’m guessing it blew when I switched it on which means to me it might not have been fully dried.

Cheers

• Kevin Flowers

October 3, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Andrew
    he has only lost 2 heads out of 6, one fuse controls 2 heads Yellow & black which should be heads 3&4 are controlled by the middle fuse if my memory serves me. So i would be surprised if it was just a dried head, the fuses are quick blow & take very little to go

Kev

• Jamie Dale

October 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm
    quote Kevin Flowers:

Hi Jamie
    the head fuses are normally soldered on to the board, they are about 3mm, oblong in shape silver each end if my memory serves me right.

Kev

Nah Kev, then are just push in ones, I replaced a few last month when I had a problem with my head board… of which I needed to buy a new head board anyways… just hope this hasn’t blown it again… I’ll be gutted and another 930euro out of pocket for something stupid 🙁

• Kevin Flowers

October 3, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Jamie
    they must have changed them in the later ones hope it all goes well

Kev

• Jamie Dale

October 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm
    quote Kevin Flowers:

Jamie
    they must have changed them in the later ones hope it all goes well

Kev

Yeah they must have kev, Andrew was meaning in his previous message that if I dried my printhead board correctly before switching back on, not the actual ink inside the head was dried… I think 🙂

• Justin Atkinson

October 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Hi Jamie,

Was just seeing how you got on with the head? I was also thinking about the cause. If you got liquid on the head this may have got into the cable socket to cause the damage and either blow the fuse or head. You would need to dry the head socket very well before firing the printer back up.

Please let me know if you need any help with this.

thanks,
    Justin

• Alex Var.

October 24, 2011 at 3:45 am

Hey guys, if you keep replacing fuses and they keep on blowing, then maybe the transistors on the head board could be blown also which means he head short circuited the board (worst case scenario).
    we have 2 of these machines here and had a very similar situation, I have a couple of used spare heads here if you need them.

let me know, mabye I can help.

all the best,

Alex,

• Jamie Dale

November 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

Hi,

Cheers for your info guys… I’ve still not got this printer sorted… It’s been offline for nearly 2 months now, I’ve called Colin the engineer and he has came unresponsive now with no reply. He was supposed to come up last month to check this out but I haven’t heard anything back again.

I’ve called Ken McKnight also but he’s on holiday at the end of this week so that can’t be done either.

I’m going mental trying to figure this out I’ve spent nearly £2k on headboards now and it’s really annoying me now.

If anyone has any other numbers for engineers that would be fantastic.

Cheers again guys,

Jamie

• David Rowland

November 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

i think fluid brought down our head.. .fusing the slider board in a jv3… luckily i didnt blow the transistors on power board… but slightly different machine.

• Jamie Dale

November 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yeah I have a new headboard here, but I don’t want to put it in just incase it blows again, I would like everything checked before hand as I don’t want to keep buying headboards.

If anyone knows another engineer it would be great.

Cheers, Jamie

• Stafford Cox

November 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Where abouts in the country are you Jamie?

• Alex Var.

November 17, 2011 at 5:00 am

Hi gents,
    most likely one of the head or the head cables is shooting out the head board. we had a similar problem on our XC-540 while playing around with heads not firing and such. turns out just a bad head cable (the short one).
    which fuse (channel) is not firing?