Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Is upgrade of sp 300-540 still available anywhere?

• Is upgrade of sp 300-540 still available anywhere?

Posted by Ian Muir on August 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Hi

Versacamm sp300 and sp540, Both seem pretty good machines but I was looking towards having the upgrade to the newer inks and later versaworks put in + 1 years Roland warranty(circa £900) before.

I contacted Roland but they said they were no longer doing the upgrades but maybe one of their dealers would be.

Does anyone have any info on this, don’t really want to purchase a second hand printer without some security that it won’t pop it’s clogs or doesn’t have underlying probs shortly after I get it.

Ian :

mod-edit

Kev Cringle replied 14 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • John Wilson

August 6, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Newer inks plus versaworks?

I’ve got a sp300 and i’m running the latest versaworks without a problem

• Jason Xuereb

August 7, 2009 at 5:11 am

SP300 or SP300V?

• Gary Birch

August 7, 2009 at 7:20 am

I can’t be certain but I thought the offer was only for those wanting to convert the Cadet back to Roland. I wasn’t aware of it being available for Rolands too.

I may be wrong though.

Cheers

Gary

• Ian Muir

August 7, 2009 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the responses, sorry to confuse but I don’t know the facts either.

As I was aware (and could be wrong) the upgrade was/is available for cadets and older versacamms, it included new inks, ink lines jets, updated versaworks (faster printing +) perhaps new mainboard etc etc… converting old model into a ‘new machine’ with 1 year warranty..

No idea why Roland made it available but wish it still was somewhere.

Ian :lol1:

• John Wilson

August 7, 2009 at 11:25 am

I’ve never heard of this before but if you get any more info please let me know

cheers

• Jason Xuereb

August 7, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Seems like your talking about a SP300 to a SP300V upgrade which will then support versaworks, new pumps etc. Only reason you’d need a new mainboard.

• Ian Muir

August 7, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Yes Jason, I believe it’s that sort of upgrade I am recalling…

Ian :lol1:

• Kev Cringle

August 7, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Hi Ian i spoke to signmaster about 6 weeks ago about this i have a cadet and cadet plus and the offer was still on then but its a bit misleading yes you get the 1 year warranty and new print heads etc but you have to move onto there ink and you have to pay for the ink on top of the conversion but still think its a good deal and I’m still thinking about it but if Roland have pulled the plug then i guess its a no go now then

Cheers
    kev

• Robert Lambie

August 7, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Kev thats more or less the logic behind it mate. as far as i am aware anyway…

your getting your machine the service of a lifetime "for the money you pay".
    your cadet/grenadier etc or possibly versacamm running third party inks is then converted back to running Rolands inks which i would assume there will be a agreed "terms and conditions" i.e. so your not gonna get the machine done then jump back onto cheaper third party inks. which is totally understandable from a business point of view.

as for the motherboard etc being switched… i know its needed to run the new versaworks, first I’ve heard that its included.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 7, 2009 at 6:16 pm

if your sp300 has the newer type mainboard (it has a row of dipswitches top left)

then this can be converted to a "v" printer. if not it would be an expensive upgrade and i would consider upgrading colourip to the full roland editon of wasatch for the 300$ cost instead.

otherwise keep an eye out for a 2nd hand mb.

• R.Lamerton

September 29, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Hi, I’ve just upgraded to Versaworks from colorip for a cost of £499+VAT. This is for a versaworks dongle with the new 3.22 so you can run the program with a sp300.
    The upgrade is certainly money well spent!! more vivid colours in printing and better quality overall. And also the added function of the Roland Color library which is great.
    I enquired about this a few months ago to Roland and the suggested idea was a new board in the sp300 at a cost of £1200. Then i enquired recently and the new idea was the versaworks dongle which i was told a new thing in this country. Just had to wait a month though to get it in from Roland Japan. :D. Well worth the wait.

• Stephen Morriss

September 29, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I’ve been told that roland arn’t doing the upgrade with new heads anymore as the heads have starting costing too much.
    I don’t think the board was included though, I upgraded to the Roland Wasatch and it’s much better than Colorip.

Be nice to find someone who is doing it.

Steve

• Kev Cringle

September 29, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Ive just bought 2 new print heads and installed them my self to be honest it went as simple as ABC , i bought the heads of these people http://www.digiprint-supplies.com they gave excellent service i ordered at 2pm and they were on my door at 10.30 next morning and costing just over a £1000 for the two of them which is no worse than getting Rolland to do it as they required you to buy there ink after the install, so to be honest if you have a go at it you will be surprised how easy it is to do .

Regards
    Kev