Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl IS Lighthouse CJ9700 Vinyl suitable for use with 960?

• IS Lighthouse CJ9700 Vinyl suitable for use with 960?

Posted by Gazza on January 19, 2004 at 8:02 pm

Hi, Excuse my ignorance but does anyone know if this is suitable for general signwork using a Roland 960, I can get a load of this stuff and just need to know if i can use it. It doesn’t say in the manual whether or not i can use vinyl of less than 6". It is 4" wide, 35m long and comes in a variety of colours – best of all its very cheap!. Ta, Gaz

Nigel Fraser replied 20 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kev hoy graphics

January 20, 2004 at 8:54 pm

Not sure about widths. But watch when buying cheap vinyl! There are normally always good reasons for it being cheap. 🙄

• Gazza

January 20, 2004 at 9:50 pm

Thanks Kev, the goods are as +new, no longer required as label printer has been sold on and these were forgotten about. I just thought maybe they would have done me for lettering up to 3 1/2″ high. I don’t know thicknesses or anything but at a couple of quid for a roll, is it worth taking a chance?.

Gaz

• Robert Lambie

January 20, 2004 at 9:54 pm

im with kev on this one mate.
    i have not heard of the vinyl & i would steer clear if its going on the cheap.
    some vinyls, “even the best makes” can go off after a certain shelf life.
    they can have all sorts of probslems from weeding, cutting, fitting etc.

regarding width, i think you can load 4″ but will only cut about 2″ inches of it. needs some vinyl for the roller pinches to run on, so you will loss half that 4 inches.. not realy worth the hassle mate 😕

• Gazza

January 20, 2004 at 10:04 pm

Nuff said gents, i’ll give it a miss, your replies are appreciated. Just thought it would have saved me some cash! (you know how tight we scotsmen are!!!!).

Gaz

• Nigel Fraser

January 20, 2004 at 10:08 pm

SORRY Gaz posts crossed in cyberspace somewhere 😉

Gaz,

I’d agree with the others mate – If you don’t know what spec it is how can you use it with confidence on your jobs ? Plus narrow width vinyl like that is a pig to get to run true through the machine for any great length, and you don’t want to keep watching it to make sure its still OK 😕

My advice is stick with the materials made for the job – it might cost you a bit more (you could get a branded 5-7yr film for £8-10 equiv. roll) but you have peace of mind fitting/weeding etc. and you won’t have to keep to 2.5″ letters either 😆

Nigel