Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Is it possible to control a VP540 from more than one PC?

• Is it possible to control a VP540 from more than one PC?

Posted by John Dorling on October 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hi

I have done a search for this but with little luck. Does anyone run a VersaCamm from more than one PC? My office is upstairs, printer downstairs. I have just installed a PC in the print room next to the printer so that the person in the print room can control the printer, rather than shouting upstairs when they are ready for someone to press print! It would be handy if we still had the option to control the printer from upstairs though, for example sending a job to cut when the ‘downstairs’ guys are busy fitting etc. I have a network switch so in theory I have all the kit needed to connect everything – if it is possible. Any ideas?

Thanks

John

John Dorling replied 12 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David McDonald

October 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

Hi John

Yes we do the same with our Roland printer and we have 3 PC’s on the network each installed with Versaworks, each sending jobs to print. I remember when we set it up we gave the printer a fixed IP address in the machines setup panel as otherwise we occassionally had IP conflicts (but that was probably just our network).

Cheers
    Macky

• Dan Osterbery

October 28, 2011 at 10:20 am

Hi,
    we have our versacamm sp 540 on two different computers and dont have any problems. versawerks installed on both.

cheers

Dan

• Simon Worrall

October 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hi John

One way to do it is to use VNC. Virtual Network Computing.
    You can control all the actions of one computer remotely from another as long as both are on the internet or sharing a network.
    REALVNC is one of many programs designed to make this quite simple to do, and there are free ones available that are a bit more painful to use.
    A window opens up that is an exact representation of the desktop of the computer under control. So, you would sit upstairs and control the pc that is controlling the Roland.

Simon.

• John Dorling

October 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

Ok thanks for the replies gents – much appreciated.

John