Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink Inks on Mimaki JV3 – 160S

• Inks on Mimaki JV3 – 160S

Posted by Pedro Ferreira on May 18, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Hello people.
    I use solvent ink from my local dealer on my JV3-160s but I´m not happy with the printing quality and the duration of prints. I´m considering to do a full revision on the plotter (new cap station new caps, new print heads, probably new tubing etc) and put it printing with original mimaki ss2 inks.
    I´m having lots of waist as I have lots of problems during printing.
    The dealer proposed me to change My JV3 160S by another JV3 160SP but it´s a used machine (always using original ink as they say) and the price is too high for me right now.
    I´ve done some works on the new Mimaki JV33 and I went crazy by the colors of the prints and the quality also (printed used 4 pass – I´m printing using 12 on mine). Out of question because of price as I am still paying the old one.
    Would it be an option to consider ?

Scot J replied 14 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Scot J

June 8, 2009 at 4:28 am

Go with Triangle. I ran hilord back in the day through my JV3 and it was fine. the speed difference between a s and sp is not that much. Save up the bucks and buy a JV33. I had one and they are a terrific machine.

Mind you, I have the JV5 now and don’t know how I lived with out. However – the quality on the JV33 is much better than the jv5 as there is no head-to-head reg to worry about.

• David Rowland

June 8, 2009 at 8:39 am

we did a change of pumps, dampers, heads and capping station 2 years ago, basically we considered it a service as it had been used a lot. The deflection in the heads was bad at that time but it was because it was in a different room where tempreture would get cold and carpet dust was there.

Now in its own room (no carpet) we do not suffer badly from poor heads or deflection, only small amount of dust in the room.

Our JV3-160S runs at 720×720 4 pass most of the time

• John Childs

June 8, 2009 at 9:23 am
    quote Scot J:

However – the quality on the JV33 is much better than the jv5 as there is no head-to-head reg to worry about.

That’s interesting Scot.

So would you say that if I needed up increase print capacity I would be better off running two JV33s rather than one JV5?

• Scot J

June 8, 2009 at 11:47 am
    quote John Childs:

quote Scot J:

However – the quality on the JV33 is much better than the jv5 as there is no head-to-head reg to worry about.

That’s interesting Scot.

So would you say that if I needed up increase print capacity I would be better off running two JV33s rather than one JV5?

More like 4 Jv33’s, and at that point it doesn’t make any sense $ wise. you’d be better off taking a good day a month calibrating the machine to make sure the quality is nice, rather than wasting $70k+ on 4 machines that could same thing one $20k machine could do. Just make sure they’ve done the recall on the heads – you can tell by looking at the black nozzles, if they have alot of deflections than they need to get replaced.