Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink Ink "Spreading" on Roland SP540V

• Ink "Spreading" on Roland SP540V

Posted by Noel Moore on February 25, 2010 at 9:52 am

Hi everybody. I am printing a number of Navy Labels on Vinyl using my Roland SP540V. We have produce these labels before without any problems. However, this time when I print, there is a Magenta "light spray" in the white areas. I have tried all cleaning methods and I have cleaned the data strip but the problem persists. Any ideas??

Noel Moore replied 14 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Chris Wool

February 25, 2010 at 10:13 am

any defection in the head print test
    static – have you used a all plastic media lately
    bi-directional settings need re-calibrating
    main head alignment out

enjoy

chris

• Noel Moore

February 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Thanks for your help Chris. I have been tied up with clients all day. The head print test looks fine. My media is the same vinyl I that I have using for a long time. I have done bi-directional calibrating but I am still getting this Magenta "light spray" in the white areas when I print a solid navy label. I will contact Roland tomorrow. Thanks.

• Otto Peltonen

February 25, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Too low humidity may also cause spreading, although it should show with every colour.

• Noel Moore

February 25, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Otto. If you look at the following link, you will see a photo of the problem.

http://www.creativedesignandprint.ie/Label-Problem.jpg

I hope this helps!!

• Andrew Blackett

February 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Got the same machine as you Noel, in my experience one of two things would cause this sort of effect;

Head height is set to the high position, drop it back down and try again
    or
    Build up of ink residue around the head, give it a clean and try again

Also do the bi-directional setup which will probably help too

Andy

• Chris Wool

February 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm

seen the pic my bet is static as it covers quite a area

chris

• Steve McAdie

February 25, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I thought that Chris by the way it is scattering, but how come only magenta is scattering, makes me think that the head on the magenta has got some sh!t on it of some kind, maybe wipers and head need good clean.

Steve

• Phill Fenton

February 25, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Strange that it’s just the magenta colour that’s causing a problem. Could the magenta ink itself be at fault?

• Martin Oxenham

February 25, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I have exactly the same problem started yesterday with black. Its like a shadow around the colour. Have done a powerful clean and a manual clean as the test print had loads of squares missing. But after the cleaning the test print is almost perfect, but the problem is still there. I have tried wiping the head gently with cleaner as well. Have sent photos to Roland and waiting for a reply. The maintnance contract runs out in a few days so depending on the outcome will decide weather we change to another contract provider.

• Chris Wool

February 25, 2010 at 11:28 pm

take a magnifying glass to it and would expect to see other colours as well
    it was black on my machine when it happened but there was traces of other colours.
    the wipers may not be doing its job to well then alowing the static to disperse the waist ink on the btm of the head.

this fault could go as quick as it came.

chris

• Noel Moore

February 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

Thank you guys for all your contributions. I think I will change the wipers and give it a complete head cleaning.

I will let you know if I solve the problem.