Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl ImagePerfect 2503LSE Pro – Wet application, OK or NOT OK for this vinyl?

• ImagePerfect 2503LSE Pro – Wet application, OK or NOT OK for this vinyl?

Posted by Pane Talev on March 22, 2024 at 9:51 am

ImagePerfect 2503LSE Pro

White Gloss Polymeric Vinyl LSE (low surface energy)

Wet application, OK or NOT OK for this vinyl?

Being extra sticky, why would you “compromise” the adhesive?

Curious to see hear your opinions.

Pane Talev replied 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Martyn Heath

March 22, 2024 at 2:36 pm

definitely not in my opinion

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    March 23, 2024 at 2:13 am

@pane-talev1

Wet application, OK or NOT OK for this vinyl?
    Being extra sticky, why would you “compromise” the adhesive?

Martin is correct, do not apply using a wet application fluid.

You have answered your question, Pane. Why would you compromise the adhesive?!
    I realise this may not sit well for some people reading this, but the second you put ANY sort of application fluid between the adhesive and the surface you are applying to, you compromise the adhesion.

In this case:
    * you are paying extra for this high-bonding adhesive to be able to stick to a specific type of surface.
    * You are then using water, or paying for a special chemical liquid to reduce the adhesion.
    * You will then fight to remove the moisture from underneath the adhesive, to try and get it to stick properly again.
    * Each stage, the adhesive, the chemical, the extra labour, is all costing you more time and money. And the end result is the vinyl is NOT sticking to the surface 100%. This is because no matter who tells you what, there is a residue of whatever liquid you use, remaining below that vinyl.

Example:
    3M surface cleaner for preparing vehicle recesses and panels before wrapping.
    3M states, that even “isopropyl alcohol” leaves a microscopic residue behind when cleaning recesses and the like, in turn, will compromise the adhesion of their vinyls in recesses. Therefore you must use “their” fluid for cleaning or you are not covered by their warranty, should there be a fail.
    I trust that 3M will have done their homework and this will be “a fact” regarding the residue, but personally, i think it is bollocks… and more about them upselling.
    Regardless, their argument is similar to what we are talking about here.

• Martyn Heath

March 23, 2024 at 7:22 am

“but personally, i think it is bollocks… and more about them upselling.”

😂 totally agree

• Pane Talev

March 27, 2024 at 7:20 am