Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics ImagePerfect 2503LSE Pro – Bigger brand alternative suggestion please

• Graham Scanlan

March 4, 2024 at 8:05 pm

Hi Pane,

Being an Avery re-seller, I would recommend Avery MPI 2006.
    https://graphics.averydennison.eu/en/home.html

• Hugh Potter

March 5, 2024 at 5:10 pm

Metamark MD5H is a high-tack film, you can also get MD5HA with the air release.
    I use it a lot for high tack stickers which go onto plastic bins, so will be fine for stainless steel.
    I wouldn’t say SS is low energy per se, but it may have a brushed finish, in which case I would use high tack to maximise adhesion to what is microscopically a furrowed field!
    https://www.metamark.co.uk

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    March 7, 2024 at 2:31 am

Hi Pane

What are your reasons for wanting to switch brands?

If it is just to offer a better-known brand, than what a competitor is currently using, then I would maybe use the best-known brands in and outside the trade, such as 3M or Avery, but equally and in some cases better alternatives from the likes of Oracal, Arlon etc.

I am not knocking Metamark in any way, but I wouldn’t class them as a better brand than ImagePerfect, i would say they are equally as popular “in our industry”, but I do not think either “brand” would tickle your customer to learn you have switched from one over the other.

So if this is a case of flash brand names and trying and win work from it, then Avery and 3M will do that over any other name.

I push “performance” before Brand. 🤓
    If you are looking for a low-energy surface vinyl, take your pick from all the well-known industry vinyl manufacturers. There are lots… but once you have a short list, compare the spec side by side. you will see some differences. remove those that aren’t ticking the boxes until you have a couple and go with the better brand, if that’s what will swing it for you.

Back to Image Perfect which is currently being used by the customer.
    Do you want to switch because it is failing?
    Polished smooth stainless steel shouldn’t have any adhesion issues. Stainless bins aren’t something I have stuck vinyl to, but I have wrapped lots of 18-wheeler Trucks with huge chrome stainless steel Cylinder tankers on the back. and that was just using standard Oracal Polymeric.

Could the bin steel be cold, corrugated and subjected to harsh cleaning methods?
    The low temperature may repel adhesion on cold steel, meaning a high-grip adhesive that will bond at low temperatures, may be required. I just looked at the spec of the image perfect and that benefit is listed. If this is the case, make sure whatever alternative you switch to, also offers this in the spec.

If you are printing graphics for the face, also be sure to use an “equivalent matching laminate”
    it is pointless having a printed sticker on a surface that requires being cleaned with chemicals and is subject to abrasion damage, the graphic will be gone in weeks and the base film still stuck firm.

• Pane Talev

March 7, 2024 at 6:34 am

Thanks Robert,

The reason I want to switch product is mainly the price. For an in-house brand the IP is expensive.

Secondary is the fact the IP 2503LSE has blank backing paper. I hate this approach of a product.

In this case I ordered in IP 2503LSE, mainly because clients product goes around the world. I feel safer that way. At the end is what the client orders.

Personally, I agree with you on the performance, but the only way to find that out is to put a sticker on a surface and have a look at it in 5 years.

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    March 14, 2024 at 2:49 am

Hi Pane

The reason I want to switch product is mainly the price. For an in-house brand the IP is expensive.

Metamark and Image Perfect are technically doing the same thing, mate. In-house brands. Both bring in whatever face films and adhesive coating etc.

Please do not take what I am saying wrong here, but It may be that you are selling your stickers, too cheap!
    Do your research, buy the “best material” to cater for your customer’s needs. Mark it up at a price you make “decent money” from, and then Sell it to your customer based on the reasons why you chose that material over others. You do not have to mention brands of materials etc. just list all the issues that may occur if he uses “budget alternatives”. Find example photos online of shrunk stickers. half peeled-off stickers faded stickers and more. explain that you are using a polymeric and why, over a monomeric. why you laminate (if you do) over non-lamination why the super grip adhesive is better than standard adhesive… blah blah blah. then give him the price “you want” a price you make money from.
    This Price is the cost of a premium product with your experience and knowledge in sourcing each element of the product, from the vinyl, adhesive, ink, laminate etc. etc.

Now, if you are worried he may go elsewhere, or the cowboy down the street is going to undercut you.
    give him a second price based on monomeric, standard adhesive, no laminate etc.
    state next to it that all the above that you are advising on, “does not apply” with this budget option.

Then submit your quote. you will win one way or another. if he will accept crap and buys on price, he gets crap. But I am sure he will go with your advise and buy what you are advising him on.

Secondary is the fact the IP 2503LSE has blank backing paper. I hate this approach of a product.

This, amongst other things, is a long-standing piss take by manufacturers and is done by most if not all of them at some point or with some products. It is my opinion that the company logo, vinyl series, manufacturing date and more, should be on the lining paper. I have brought this issue up many times, it gains interest then falls on deaf ears. Just my opinion but I think there is a legal obligation to have this information, and if on nothing else, then at the very least vehicle wrapping films. Avery in particular with their supreme range. a brilliant material at a premium price, and blank on the rear. 🧐🤬