Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters I am going crazy my 5000-60 wont read the registration marks

• I am going crazy my 5000-60 wont read the registration marks

Posted by madyaker on November 17, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Oh I am going crazy. My Graphtec 5000-60 wont read the registration marks. I have been trying for 2 weeks now and have rang Graphtec who haven’t helped me at all. I am using ILLUSTRATOR and the cutting master add on. I put the registration marks on the IMAGE by drawing a rectangle around it and clicking the option to make the reg marks around the rectangle. I have selected the type 2 vertical box and when I go to cut it just cant find them or if it does it doesn’t find the second one it just stops half way up the A4 page. I have managed to get it to cut out a rectangle by manually letting the machine find the marks but it won;t cut anything else. Someone Please help me \ARRRRGGGHHHHHHGH

madyaker replied 13 years ago 7 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Chris Wool

November 17, 2008 at 9:16 pm

this may help

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/faq-cuttingplotters.html

worth looking at some of the other vids as well

chris

• madyaker

November 18, 2008 at 1:18 am

Thanks for that, but no help to me as my machine won’t even read the MARKS if I select a rectangle round it, unless it’s a really small design, which is no good as the paper cost £1.00 plus vat and you can only use half of it. Surely with technology these days you must be able to get a machine to read four rectangles, instead of it staggering around the page with it’s red light bleeping on and off. How hard can this be. I had a cheap Graphtec Robo Master and this did the job and it’s a quarter of the price, but I upgraded it for this and I have been trying to get it working for weeks and weeks and now it’s 1 am and I still haven’t had any success.

Really dissapointed with this machine and with the Tech Support as I have rang them and emailed them so many times and the guy’s there say "oh we have never used Illustrator or cutting master 2"

I think I should have just bought A £300. chinese machine for big work and a Craft Robo for cutting out small transfers as this would have saved me a fortune.

Sorry to rant but enoughs enough I really want to throw this hair dryer out the window.

• Karl Williams

November 18, 2008 at 1:37 am

My guess is if you are only using an a4 piece of paper or vinyl the paper is passing over your rear sensor. Attach the image to a larger sheet then try it. Another theory could be that your contour line isn’t quite 1% cyan?
    Just a thought.

• Russell Huffer

November 18, 2008 at 7:27 am

Have you tried Type 1 marks, you have to change the settings on the cutter to tell it to look for type 1.
    Worth a try as my Graphtec rarely finds type 2 marks and when it does it is only because i zero the cutter on the outside of the mark.
    Type 1 marks work just like the instructions on my cutter type 2 do not however i belive in my case a lot is down to the rip.

Regards

Russell.

• madyaker

November 18, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for that I will try it and yes I am using an A4 sheet of paper. Sometimes it reads it sometimes it does, but it’s always trying to read my design an not the marks. The roller position seems to make a difference but I can’t seem to work out which is the right posistion. Anyway I will try the mark 1 marks.

• madyaker

November 18, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Tried changing the marks to type 1, and mounting the A4 sheet on a bigger sheet which worked once but cant seem to get it to work again on a different sheet. What size reg marks have you got and how thick? My drunken Lazer finds every other line on my art work except the reg marks and when you put over the mark it straight away moves to the right before trying to read. Also what settings should I have on the machine itself.

This is the worst thing I have ever bought!

• madyaker

November 20, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I have finally got it to work by mounting the A4 sheet onto a bigger piece of paper but now when i cut it’s not cutting out properly it’s cutting to far to the left and so leaving a white border around my work so frustrating.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Yaker

• Chris Wool

November 20, 2008 at 8:43 pm

i work with a fc7000 and corel and dont know your work flow but you can give me a ring if you want

pm my number

chris

• madyaker

May 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Hi thanks to all who helped me in 2008, but I am still having trouble. I got it to read the marks eventually and cut but since 2008 its been cutting to much off the bottom of my designs and leaving loads at the top. I have been trimming the excess with scissors but now have a design that needs to be spot on. It looks perfect on screen all Lined up,but when cutting it’s out of line. I use a bigger sheet to stick my design sheet on so I can print More on the paper.

Please help!!!

Cheers

Gaz

• Chris Wool

May 6, 2011 at 11:53 pm

thats a long time cutting with scissors.

have you checked the calibration between the eye and knife as set in the manual.

• madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 12:02 am

Hi-

Thanks for the reply! Not sure where the Manual is. Do you know what it should be and where I can find the Info?

With Thanks

Gaz

• Colin Crow

May 7, 2011 at 12:31 am

Let me get this straight

You bought a £1000+ cutter and for 3 years have been cutting around prints with scissors and have lost the instructions and now want someone to tell you what they say and how the cutter should be calibrated?

Have you considered at any point this choice career may be inappropriate?

If not try googling fc5000 manual and reading the PDF – there are clear instructions for aligning the print with cut although this is usually quite a small amount of inaccuracy. If you can use scissors to cut this the odds are it’s a software problem. It’s difficult to say what’s going on without a fuller picture of what you are using to send the data and where the error s occurring.

• Harry Cleary

May 7, 2011 at 12:31 am
  • madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thanks Harry But cant make head nor Tail of the Instructions, spent hours again on this. Colin Your Not helping! Anyone who can Give me some Clear Instructions Would be Great !

• Alex Pirozek

May 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

Gaz,
    Don’t worry I’ve a CE3000 with optical registration and i still can’t get it to pick up the marks and I’ve had it 3 years now. I’ve no call for using the feature so that’s maybe why I’ve left it for so long with trying to sort it. In a way it would be good if there was a fool proof setup guide for this feature so it would cut 100% everytime to the marks, at the moment the way it is I’ve given up trying to get it too work.
    The edge FX plotter is totally manual and you just align the mark up through a sight and that’s it….so accurate and works every time.

• madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Yeah they are Rubbish at Contour Cutting, Things great for other jobs! I have even tried in Robo master Pro and the thing wont cut anything in there, just keeps starting on the left. Is there anyone who can help been at this for Hours Now- read Manuals Watched Boring Farts on You Tube. Please anyone who can give me a Non NERDY solution PLLLEEEASE I could have cut all fifty out with scissors by now but I shouldnt have to with what I have paid. Come On anyone in Plain English I’m going Mad! Please Please!

• Colin Crow

May 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

This may seem obvious but have you checked that your print is the correct size? I realise the contour cutting procedure should compensate for small changes in size but may be thrown by by changes outside of its tolerance and will also cause problems finding the marks.

I have just checked my FC7000 using coreldraw plugin to produce type 2 marks around a square using all default settings on a laser printed a4 sheet and this found all 4 marks automatically and cut correctly.

• Chris Wool

May 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm

mine is as colins and does work a dream.
    biggest problem is the reg marks to close to the edges, you found that by sticking it to a larger bit of paper.
    after it has found all the marks i use the 4 point system the head will return to its new 0-0 origin and the knife will be centered on the first reg mark X. if not it will cut out of place by the amount its off the mark.

if after the machine has returned to it origin correctly but it cuts out of place then the cut artwork is positioned incorrectly.

if the first decal is cut correctly but goes out on subsequent ones (worse further away) then the calibration is out between the printer and cutter or there is media movement.

using the 4 point system will correct square and some distance errors. between distance printed and plotter distance.

• madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Hi Chris What does this mean I cant find it anywhere–

have you checked the calibration between the eye and knife as set in the manual.

Please Explain– I can get it to cut but still cuts to much off the bottom than top even though perfect on Screen.

Cheers

Gaz

• madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Yeah I stick it to a larger Sheet and been doing this for Years but it still Cuts WronG.

Cheers

Gaz

• madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

All of them are the same- too Much cut off the bottom and sides and a big piece left on top>

• Chris Wool

May 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

in the manual under advanced

sensor offset adjustment.

but as i said when its found the marks does it return the knife dead centre of the first mark X.

• madyaker

May 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I have got it nearish having messed about with it all Day and will have to trim a little with Scissors even though I have put a black border on it.

Things that Helped are:

1-Stick your Printed work on a bigger backing Sheet so that the plotter thinks your Work Sheets is bigger and this avoids it Just spitting it out after its read the first mark and it makes it easier to read the marks and use more of your expensive paper.

2- If your paper is slightly curled up due to storage etc the Cutter will not read your Reg marks- Either Roll it up the opposite way or just push down a little on the paper when its reading (not to much)

3- Play around with the different reg marks you can have- mine worked with 4 marks type 1 on the machine- Also make sure the Machine is set to the marks you are using (Very Important)

5-Sometimes re- loading the paper and helps to read marks.

6- Stick a big coloured border around your work the same as the edge colour to allow it to over or under cut so that you dont end up with the white edge of the paper as your border.

7-If all else feels Hit it with a Big Hammer–!!!!