Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink HP vs Uniform Inks on HP5500

• HP vs Uniform Inks on HP5500

Posted by Mike Robson on October 29, 2007 at 1:15 pm

We’ve had the printer a few months now and, so far, have only used genuine HP carts.
    However, now I need to order some more, I was wondering if anyone had tried the Uniform INKTANK ones. They’re half the price.
    Having read the previous topic about non-OEM inks, I can see where people are coming from when they stick to originals, and that’s the only reason we’re stalling on the switch.

Has anyone tried these inks? and if so, is there a noticable difference in quality and/or durability

Thanks

Mike

Mike Robson replied 16 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Russell Huffer

October 29, 2007 at 10:48 pm

I have 1.5M HP5500 and have tried non standared inks twice, first time the inks lacked colour and took ages to dry, second time inks looked OK and dried no problem, however cyan head dried up and blocked completly and yellow cartridge leaked spaying ink all over machine and writing off head as this run dry.

In my experience ink half price maintance doubled I saved £40.00 on a cartridge and spent £90.00 on a new head, this was the direct cost however I also had hours of downtime.

My advice stick with HP.

Regards

Russell.

• Printdesigns

November 2, 2007 at 1:19 am

I concur! We have 6 HP Designjets (five 5500’s and a 5000). They all use the same ink tanks and heads so essentially the same machines.

I have gone through the process of trying just about every 3rd party ink available. I was re-linearising our machines with an X Rite and so any ‘shift’ in gamut was compensated for but the repeated head failures after only small ink consumption was a big, big problem.

When the ink saving was weighed against the wasted/short lifespan heads then the ink saving was lost.

Give them a go if you must but I personally would not bother.

PS – Your warranty may also be affected if your machine is less than 1 year old

• Mike Robson

November 9, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for the input guys. The warranty isn’t an issue I don’t think (I will check before (if) we do go ahead), as it’s from B&P and so are the inks. The inks claim to extend head life (?!?)