Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP t610 24" is printing blues as purples? Can’t work it

• HP t610 24" is printing blues as purples? Can’t work it

Posted by Paul Wilson on June 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Had this printer for about 9 months and it’s never missed a beat. I’ve got 24 signs at 600mm wide x 1000mm tall to print/mount on foamex and laminate for friday but for some reason it’s printing all the blues as purples.

I’ve just printed the file through my little HP colour laser printer on a piece of A4 paper and the colours have come out faithfully as they should – the colours appear correct and as they do on the screen..

The files have been created in illustrator and saved as PDF’s by the client. I’m opening them into illustrator cs2 and printing from there. I’ve adjusted the colour of one of the logo’s to a darker blue like it’s supposed to appear but it’s just coming out of the printer as a darker purple?

Printing on adhesive white vinyl btw. Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated. Baffled in west yorks..

Paul Wilson replied 13 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Peter Normington

June 2, 2010 at 3:36 pm

What are the colour values in illustrator?
    And what profiles are you using?

have a look at this
    http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=550
    Probably wont help but does explain some basic principles,
    Peter

• Paul Wilson

June 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm

thanks for the link peter – really useful that 🙂 illustrator is set to cmyk, I’ve tried adjusting the colour profiles on the printer from sRGB to application managed but it hasn’t made any difference. The only options are sRGB, Adobe RGB or printer emulation – nothing about cmyk which is odd considering it’s rgb is generally for electronic display?

Here’s some pics to clarify:

The colour values of the blue part of the CFD logo

What the blue should actually look like:

The colour of the CFD doesn’t seem to change:

Also taken some pics with my crappy iphone 3g camera as I’ve left my real camera at home today. Not very clear but you can just about see the blue aspect has printed from the a4 general purpose laser colour printer without trouble…

And from the t610 it has come out quite purpley

🙁

• Paul Wilson

June 2, 2010 at 6:02 pm

shameless bump, gonna get on top of it tomorra as I’ve had other work to get finished in the meantime…

• Peter Normington

June 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Paul, I am no expert,
    colour is a very complex issue.
    but I tried your values for blue and had the same result, purplish, but illustrator did point out it was out of gamut. in other words not a cmyk printable colour.
    I did a screen capture but cant post here without an external link. so posted in the off topic.
    off hand I dont know how you can rectify this, but I often have similar issues with blues, and would welcome any suggestions

Peter

• David Rowland

June 3, 2010 at 10:28 am

Well, I just had a play in photoshop… and this topic has come up many times in the past

First of all your rounding up colours to Web, take that tick out as ur not web designing.

The Illustrator CFD logo in that blue looks correct C86 M73, that would be quite a dark bluey-purple.

The Light one (R0 G51 B255) is very high bright blue, you have to do a chart of blues and pick the best one, im not even sure you can print that one as the print gamut warning symbol comes up in photoshop, the gamut rule will be determined by the RIP.

Have a read up here to understand Perceptual, abs Colorimetric, basically your RIP will follow the settings you have running, if a colour is outside of a gamut this control tells it what really to do with it, either change the colour or try and print it. However if you are feeding CMYK processed image to the RIP, unlikely to do much at all, i feed most stuff CMYK with fogra profile attached.

Have a read here before we get too technical.

http://www.wasatch.com/iccintent.html

I am assuming that you have a perfect material profile and using original inks

Ok, the laser printer says you can and sometimes its amazing what colours comes out of them… :lol1:

• Paul Wilson

June 3, 2010 at 10:59 am

cheers for the reply,

yep genuine HP vivera inks and 230gsm adhesive vinyl = has always worked fine.. I’ll have a proper read of the colour info on the link you posted when I’ve got a few mins spare 🙂

After nearly 2 hours back and forth with HP support, we’ve narrowed it down to the cyan/magenta print head being worn. We’re going to replace it and go from there – the technician on the phone said he was pretty certain it would fix it based on the diagnostic prints I scanned & emailed to him..

The HP printer utility states the printheads are still in warranty but the tech said that because they’re worn through useage & not faulty, we’ll have to cover the cost..