Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP Latex 315 prints on matte self adhesive – do I need to laminate?

• HP Latex 315 prints on matte self adhesive – do I need to laminate?

Posted by Billy Lawton on March 4, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve just got a HP Latex 315 54" printer – it’s working fine, and I’m really happy with the image quality, but does anyone know if you have to laminate prints?

I was told it was pretty scratch resistant.

I only use it for adhesive back media max size 1000 x 430mm on music stands – and I’m worried that they may scratch easily within a few weeks?

Any advice would be great, and if I need to get a laminator, and advice on that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Billy

Billy Lawton replied 7 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • David McCarroll

March 4, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Hi Billy,

As with any print, you should really laminate. The latex inks do offer brilliant resistance to scratching (try it with your fingernail) but categorically don’t stop scratching. Put it to the test for your project as you know the use of this better than us.

I always laminate for peace of mind but loads of jobs I’ve done I know I’d a got away with not doing so.

• Billy Lawton

March 4, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Thanks David,
    That’s really helpful, I’ve tried it with thumbnail, and it’s resisting that, but I guess to be certain I’ll need to laminate as well.

What laminator do you use? I’m thinking I won’t need a massive machine (hopefully) as room is an issue.

Thanks again,

really appreciate your help.

Regards

Billy

• David McCarroll

March 4, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Hi Billy,

We have a mounters mate laminator, swear by it. Have a look on their website or give them a call. It will take up generally the same floor space as your printer though.

• Peter Wynne

March 4, 2017 at 8:17 pm

We runa 26500 and 360 (both latex machines) and rarely laminate the prints unless specified. The 26500 was more prone to scratches, but the newer 360 is impressively scuff resist on the majority of media!

• Billy Lawton

March 5, 2017 at 8:04 am

Thanks Peter,

I think we’ll try it on a few jobs and then decide – a related question, we have bought ‘HP’s roll up banner’ media too, does that need laminating?

Really appreciate all of your help guys

🙂

• Peter Wynne

March 5, 2017 at 11:43 am

We’ve never used any official HP media as we’ve either found equivalent material cheaper, or we’ve used 3rd party products who can supply\help with the print profiles. We use Papergraphics for the majority if our stuff and they’ve been brilliant with us!

We don’t laminate our roller banner stock as we find its pretty tough stuff, but I would consider laminating the pop-up exhibition material as I find that’s the most prone to scuff marks.

• Billy Lawton

March 5, 2017 at 11:50 am

:thumbsup:

• Kevin Busby

March 6, 2017 at 9:15 am

I’ve got the 310 Hp and whilst I always laminate magnetics, pavement signs etc, if its a window graphic or a safety sign then I tend to not bother. If you have the right profile for the media then you can scratch the ink with a key and it will chew up the vinyl before it scratches the ink. Have also found on the wrong media it will scratch easily so its worth finding something that works well for you.

Currently use a non laminated roller banner material that has a course surface requiring no lamination whilst offering a great scratch protection, never had any complaints and I know some banners get put through hell.

• Billy Lawton

March 6, 2017 at 9:19 am

Brilliant Kevin,

Thanks buddy.

Cheers

Billy