Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP L25500 Latex Printer, any thoughts???

• HP L25500 Latex Printer, any thoughts???

Posted by Colin Smyth on June 29, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Im in the stages of upgrading my Roland ProIII and have been looking at the HP L25500 latex printer, anyone out there have one or had any experiences of working with prints off them? Got the sell from one of the reps but always prefer to hear from someone that uses it day to day rather than someone paid to sell them.
    From the few samples i’ve seen, print quality is excellent and unlaminated prints don’t rub as easy as the Roland, which is perfect for wallpaper & banners which we print a lot of. All advice apreciated. 😀

David Rowland replied 12 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Colin Smyth

June 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm

No-one have any experiences with the HP Latex printer then?? 😥 😥

• David Rowland

June 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Colin , i dont have it, but i can say that few topics on here recently, there is two uksb members that i know of have it

put L25500 in the "search the boards" box above.

• Jason Price

June 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm

hi mate

i have been having all my vehicle printing, inc wrap full colour stuff, and day to day bits n bobs, and all i can say is the results are outstanding!!!

i have never seen a printer put a colour down sooo smoothly!!

j

• Colin Smyth

June 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm

thanks Dave, i’ll look into that.
    Cheers Jason, from the samples I’ve seen, the colours and quality is amazing for an outdoor printer, suppose a lot of that is in the setup, even so, i’ve never been able to get a matching quality from the Roland (and i’m very fussy!!) so that’s a major plus right off!!
    With the wraps, how does it compare to Eco Solvent prints? I would think that it as it is solvent free, the adhesive isn’t affected by the printing process and therefore easier to apply? What about discolouring when heating in, any worse thann Eco-Sol?

• Jason Price

June 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm

due to the inks being water based, there is no issues with migration of solvents, and all prints can be laminated straight off the machine
    as for wrapping and bleaching out under stress, it is no better or worse than any other print, solvent or eco, i have run jv3 & 6, roland sc’s and grenadiers and to be brutally honest, nothing matches the HP!
    trust me, if i had the monies, i would get one tomorrow!!!

hope that helps, all i can say is a big thumbs from me!

j

• George Zerbino

June 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I’ve had one since October, best printer I’ve ever had.
    Bit of experimenting is required if you want to try different materials, but for me big thumbs up.

George Z.

• Colin Smyth

June 30, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Jason, HP is certainly the front runner.
    I like the ProIII but there has always been the slight inconsistency in colour reproduction especially when tiling, even though i give it a good clean at least every other day. I think this is the norm with solvent printers, just the price you pay for a more agressive ink to give you a decent outdoor lifespan. So if the HP lives up to the promises, its a no-brainer.

• George Zerbino

June 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Colour consistency is on the plus points on the hp with it’s own colour spectrophotometer.

• Colin Smyth

June 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Hi George, thanks for the input. As long as I can print on the key materials, vinyl, pvc, wallpaper, some papers etc, i’ll be happy. Suppose more materials will come online as the printers get more popular.
    I have been told that the heads need changed every litre if ink that goes through them, though in most cases youo would get 2-3l, how does that compare with your experience? Also, are you using a dedicated rip?

• Colin Smyth

June 30, 2011 at 10:14 pm
    quote George Zerbino:

I’ve had one since October, best printer I’ve ever had.
    Bit of experimenting is required if you want to try different materials, but for me big thumbs up.

George Z.

Forgot to ask, donyou print on pvc banners much? How does it stand up to the scratch test?

• George Zerbino

June 30, 2011 at 10:26 pm

As far as I can tell, better than the solvents I used to use on my old Grenadier.
    The scratch resistance is higher, not perfect but higher.
    As far as outdoor resistance it’s still early days for me so I cannot say if they last longer or as much as (I hope!!!).

• Colin Smyth

July 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

good to know, just one more thing and then I’ll stop pestering you!! Have you had any problems where the media you have used before won’t run on the HP?

• George Zerbino

July 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

On some yes, such as banner material and cling film.
    Just needed to try some other ones, and once you find the right ones then it’s sorted.
    Having said that I also tried some difficult materials to print on solvent (flag/cloth), and the hp didn’t even break a sweat on them – perfect prints.

• Nic Bessent

July 12, 2011 at 8:42 am

i have one – its great although as mentioned above you need to experiment if doing anything but vinyl due to the heat etc…..

• David Rowland

July 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm

how are your maintenance contracts? I mean who do u call for a failure and have HP come out and fixed it?

• Nic Bessent

July 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

had them come out twice so far – next day for 1 of them but 5 days on the 1st call!!

• David Rowland

July 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

but who, HP or William Smith?