Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP L25500 filling the room with fog?

• HP L25500 filling the room with fog?

Posted by Laurence Felton on December 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

We’ve recently bought an HP L25500 and are having an odd problem with it. We’re a commercial printer, and the environment tends to be a little bit dusty, so to avoid this being a problem, we built a 8.4 x 4.5 meter room (2.7M ceilings) in one of our industrial units to house it and associated cutting kit etc. No aircon yet, but it is heated.

It’s been fine for the last couple of weeks, but we’ve only printed about 20-30 square meters, so can’t honestly say that we’ve used it very hard. Yesterday while printing a heavy ink coverage 6-sheet, the room (102 cubic meters) filled with a pretty dense white fog, with quite a strong smell. We reproduced the problem again this morning (i.e. it was the first and only thing printed) as requested by the supplier of the kit and I measured the room temp at 20.3 degrees and 43 %RH, so pretty ideal for printing I would have thought.

HP say that this is environmental and that the L25500 needs strict environmental controls including air conditioning (to keep the temperature within acceptable range and the humidity low), "good ventilation" and extraction. They are not willing to look at the problem until the environmental controls are installed.

Our suppliers want to get the machine checked to be certain (so I’m very happy that they’re double checking the info from HP to make sure that there is not a H&S issue), but I wanted to ask whether this was widely known / experienced?

Warren Beard replied 12 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Chris Wool

December 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm
    quote :

Build a competitive edge with odourless prints that allow placement in areas where odour is a concern.
    No special ventilation equipment or external dryer requirement helps keep energy costs down.

taken from the new hp26thing web site

• David Rowland

December 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm

hi.. .the fog was mentioned by the installers here… we are currently at 15.8deg c and 60%RH and no fog yet, although seen small traces of it.

Fog will happen sometimes, just ignore it.. it just a natural thing when hot air meet colder air.

read it elsewhere also

• Chris Wool

December 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

the met office to day reported that they are concerned with the out brake of unexplained fog patches appearing all over the country.
    a local printer said they have decided to call this Phenomenon cumulusHPnimbus

😉

• Jon Marshall

December 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm

That’s some printer that can create its own atmospheric conditions!

• Laurence Felton

December 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Well, in the end HP did send out an engineer, as our supplier wanted to make certain that it was normal. Apparently he (the HP engineer) sees this all the time, in one installation where 2x machines are in a room a little bigger than ours, you can’t see one end of the room from the other sometimes! HP say that the smell is completely normal too. I just need to get that in writing from HP for the risk assessment.

I’ll bring forward the a/c install and hopefully then we’ll at least be able to see what we’re doing in there 🙂

Chris – I think that we can take it that "Build a competitive edge with odourless prints that allow placement in areas where odour is a concern.
    No special ventilation equipment or external dryer requirement helps keep energy costs down." …is just marketing "wishful thinking" and you do need to factor in environmental control and extraction when installing these machines.

• David Rowland

December 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm

yeah as i signed the Pre-site agreement saying that it was perfect.

• Martin Pearson

December 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I would have though if it were that bad in a room that you couldn’t see the other end them the humidity readings must be really high, way above what would be recommended for printing.

• George Zerbino

December 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I had this happen to me when I first got the printer, I thought it had caught fire as I couldn’t see anything in the print room (size of the room is 12′ x 6′).

Opened the door slightly so to let a little air in and out, and problem solved.

Now I just leave one of the doors partially open and I’ve never experienced the fog since.

• Warren Beard

December 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm

when I was looking in to this printer one thing I was told was about the humidity and that a dehumidifier was essential especially for smaller rooms. I just had a air to air heater installed which is a heater, cooler and dehumidifier in one.