Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Printer Ink HP Designjet 8000s Ink Question

• HP Designjet 8000s Ink Question

Posted by Chris Lambe on September 5, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Hi i have a question for any one who has a hp 8000s the cartridges are chipped so the machine knows how much ink is left and prompts you when empty fair enough but i thought that the empty cartridge felt rather heavy and you can hear the ink sloshing about when you shake it so i took it apart and the bag inside had half the amount of ink still in it??? i rang our supplier and was told yes that’s the way it should be HP over fill the cartridge but i can’t believe this for a second as the bag has a metalized film in its make up which means it can’t be stretched but yet they are saying i have used all the ink that i was meant to and its still half full? this can’t be right surely 🙁

Simon Strom replied 16 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Simon Strom

September 5, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Are the cartridges of the combination type where either cmy or cmyk are all come as one cartridge, or are they separate? Also I know some printers come with a function that cleans the head, which can give better performance. Here is an article from Ars Technica that discussing this problem.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 … ieves.html

I know a few printers will give a warning that ink is low, or to replace the cartridge, but will still keep on printing with no discernible quality loss.

• Chris Lambe

September 6, 2007 at 7:49 am
    quote Simon Strom:

Are the cartridges of the combination type where either cmy or cmyk are all come as one cartridge, or are they separate? Also I know some printers come with a function that cleans the head, which can give better performance. Here is an article from Ars Technica that discussing this problem.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 … ieves.html

I know a few printers will give a warning that ink is low, or to replace the cartridge, but will still keep on printing with no discernible quality loss.

Here’s a link to a pdf that will show and tell you what type of printer it is

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/ … 153501.pdf

It’s a 64” Inch solvent printer with 6 colours C M Y K LC LM all separate

• Chris Lambe

September 6, 2007 at 9:35 am

Also just been told by our supplier if we go for a bulk fed system our quality will suffer because the ink is different can’t understand why it would be different ink i’m not liking these rubbish responses from our suppliers trying to keep us on these expensive cartridges the year warranty on our machine is nearly up and i was going to go bulk fed but now i don’t no what to do 🙁

• Simon Strom

September 6, 2007 at 5:42 pm

That’s still sounds very very odd that they would tell you that. We have a few large format printers. One of which is a HP DesignJet 800ps. It has four colors and it uses the ink pretty much to the bottom of the container. It gives a warning when the ink hits around the 25% mark, but it will still print until the ink has run out.

I don’t know if you bought your printer directly from HP or from a re-seller. You should get this resolved before your warranty runs out though. It almost sounds like they are trying to put you off to avoid dealing with it long enough for it to be out of warranty. I would badger the h e double hockey sticks out of them. Talk to a supervisor at HP if you have to.

You should record the conversations you have with the support people for a legal record. Obviously written correspondence is easier to keep track of. I know here in America legally you must make the other party aware that you are recording a verbal conversation. I know it sounds a bit horrible to have to resort to that, but it seems as if they aren’t being totally honest with you.

I don’t know if the printer has a Fiery or what kind of RIP that it’s using, but it could be some other hardware / software problem. You should up date all of the software that you can (drivers, OS, firmware, RIP etc…) to see if that might resolve the problem. We had one printer acting funny, come to find out the machine with Windows on it was not updated. After updating it solved the print problem. Also it was recommended to us to change the print heads out for about every 10 (total sets that is) of print cartridges being changed. I might recommend having a service technician take a look at the problem. From what I’ve read that HP printer pretty is highly recommended. It’s better to know earlier than later, for the money that you’ve spent, if you’ve gotten one with a hardware problem. Good luck Chris. I hope you get this sorted out.