Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP DesignJet 8000 / 9000

• HP DesignJet 8000 / 9000

Posted by David Rowland on May 1, 2009 at 9:59 am

Well after coming back from SignUK, seeing all the deals and now trying to work out how to follow up from the show.

One printer that I saw but didn’t get into any ‘nitty gritty’ is the HP 8000 that was next to the ColourSpan flatbed on the HP stand, this actually was lower priced then a Mimaki JV33 or a Roland VersaArt, felt that it actually was a good deal.

So who has one?

How are you getting on with it?

Is it really suitable for outdoor use without lamination?

Will it print on ‘any’ materials?

The inks are sold as litre carts, seemed reasonably priced too

More and more questions lol.

Also, I had noticed that the New Seiko/ColourPainter was actually a HP8000? or similar

Ian Hatfield replied 15 years ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Kevin Flowers

May 1, 2009 at 10:27 am

Dave
    HP have a lot of add ons (take up roll etc) but the Versart & Mimaki are normally included in the pricing. Might be worth checking when comparing prices. Also i think the 8000 is a slower version of the 9000 but may be wrong things have changed very quickly since i last looked around.

Kev

• Jamie Wood

May 1, 2009 at 11:40 am

The HP8000 is a re-badged colour painter, with HP upgraded parts. The new
    colour painter looks very similar. The 9000 is also a rebadged colour painter,
    I think, but is a better machine than the 8000. We were offered a 9000 for
    £9500, which I think is a very good price, but not sure about support from HP,
    as it doesn’t look like they are going to renew their dealings with Seiko.

If it had been this price a couple of years ago, I probably would have bought
    one. print quality is very good, and they are reasonably fast too.

Also, unless yo do your own profiling, I’m not sure how easy they would be to obtain, something I thought worth bearing in mind.

• Stuart Taylor

May 1, 2009 at 11:48 am

Dave

Main difference between HP 8000 and 9000 is speed – 9000 has twice as many nozzles per colour therefore provides twice the output. Both printers are 64" wide and both are 6 colour printers. Both platforms have been around a number of years and are pretty much rock solid.

9000 printer includes take up system which is an optional extra on the 8000

Both printers use solvent inks so you will need extraction or an APS.

With regards to ink durability without laminate simple answer is (as would be with any solvent ink) that they will work outdoors as long as there is no abrasion. We would always recommend a laminate if used on a vehicle regardless of if we were using 3M, HP, Mimaki or Mutoh inks …. and finally an overlaminate will nearly always extend the UV resistance of any ink – We have had a lot of weather testing on a number of inks and even though one manufacturer’s ink would perform better than another all laminated versions performed better than the unlaminated versions.

Any more questions please ask

Stuart

• Ian Hatfield

May 1, 2009 at 1:23 pm

We have had a 9000 for nearly 3 years, its a good work horse but likes to be run and not left. Support from Hp is done by Arts Systems and is some of the best support on any of the printers we have. Inks are fine good colour range, fine out doors without lamination, but only if they are not going into an area where they will get too much abuse (we all most always over laminate). If you have never had a printer B4, I would look at a Roland, we also have an XC540 and it takes a lot less looking after.