Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers HP Designjet 5000 Help

• HP Designjet 5000 Help

Posted by Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn on January 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Hi All,

I’ve recently purchased an older Designjet 5000 thats set up with UV inks. I know its one of the more antique machines mentioned on this forum. But it felt appropriate for where I am at the moment in the scope of things (mainly focusing on only vinyl). Its the first wide format colour machine that I have purchased and I’m quite happy with it . (even though its only pigment ink 🙄 and not eco sol, UV curing or latex.) 😕

Anyone that has previous experience with this machine and materials that work well with HP’s UV ink printing for either pull up banners, stickers or just posters in general I would greatly appreciate your input.

Many Thanks

Ezekiel

Warren Beard replied 14 years ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Barrie Dixon

January 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm

great machine we did a 35’x 3′ digital print and laminated it 4 years ago its on the sea front and still look as good toady as when we did it.
    we use ours now for paper posters as we have a versacamm but still use the hp5000

• Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn

January 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hey Barrie

Thanks that is quite encouraging. What sort of material did you use and did you laminate hot or cold or did it not really matter?

Thanks Again :lol1:

Ezekiel

• Stafford.Cox

January 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm
    quote Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn:

Hi All,

I’ve recently purchased an older Designjet 5000 thats set up with UV inks. I know its one of the more antique machines mentioned on this forum. But it felt appropriate for where I am at the moment in the scope of things (mainly focusing on only vinyl). Its the first wide format colour machine that I have purchased and I’m quite happy with it . (even though its only pigment ink 🙄 and not eco sol, UV curing or latex.) 😕

Anyone that has previous experience with this machine and materials that work well with HP’s UV ink printing for either pull up banners, stickers or just posters in general I would greatly appreciate your input.

Many Thanks

Ezekiel

I love these printers!! We sold loads of them and I still really rate them. Never had to take a screwdriver to one so that’s good in my books.

There’s quite a wide range of media available if you look around, I know Shiraz has quite a few good profiles for it and I’m sure there are many other RIP’s that do too.

Good luck 🙂

Stafford

• Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn

January 25, 2010 at 5:30 pm

That is a point Barrie did you use a rip or just print direct from your design software.

Thanks Stafford

• Barrie Dixon

January 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm

our hp5000 is a ps so it has a built in rip not the fastest way to print so we used flexi to print from. its much quicker than our versacamm.
    we have done canvas as well comes out really good.

• Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn

January 27, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Anyone else had any good or bad experiences with one of the older designjet series printers. If not the 5000 may be the 5500

Ezekiel

• Billy Cook

March 1, 2010 at 1:52 am

we currently have 1 hp5500 42", 2 5000 (1×42" and 1×60") and the only thing i have to keep on top is keeping them all in colour. they are the non ps versions running all from caldera v7.22

• Ian Hatfield

March 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Almost bullet proof, we still have 1 (dye based ink) and you can switch it on clean the heads and off it goes once or twice a year.

• Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn

March 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Guys thanks so much for your responses this encourages me that I’ve gotta gooden no matter how old she may be. :lol1:

Thanks guys

Anyone use these for stickers if so any material recommendations?…

Eze

• Warren Beard

March 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I use my pigment printer for many things, get most of my media from these guys as they have good prices and service/delivery.

http://www.link-ink.co.uk/index.asp

Stickers, posters, vinyl graphics (vehicle and mounted poster prints), roll up banners, banners with eyelets, canvas prints, backlit poster displays and Giclee prints (archival prints which must be on acid free paper)

I’ll be using mine much less from now as I have a Roland on it’s way.

good luck

• Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn

March 24, 2010 at 11:26 am

Hey Warren,

This is great, thanks for the reply I’ll have a look at the site. Seems like your printer has been keeping you busy… I just hope that I can get half as much out of our pigment printer… 😀

Anyway it’s still early days…. Thanks to all who have helped in this thread it is really appreciated.

Eze

• Warren Beard

March 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm

no problem, you just have to get out and find the work.

Good luck

cheers

Warren

• Ezekiel Ikhinmiwn

April 8, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Hi warren and all

what does this mean…

quote Warren Beard:

(vehicle and mounted poster prints)

Sorry guys still trying to get to grips with everything but vinyl 😕 😮

Has anyone that does have an idea got an image of this or can anyone else shed a little light on this for me?..

Can i print and laminate a poster on a self adhesive roll and mount this on the side of a van ??? 🙄

I know this might sound a bit *hair* (oogle) but I guess I’m in the right place to be learning

Thanks 🙂

Eze

• Warren Beard

April 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Yes you are right, must be outdoor grade vinyl though and yes must be laminated, many might disagree but many will vouch for it and I have had signs out South facing for 2 years now with not one slight bit of fading or deterioration.

The link I supplied sell everything you need, give them a call as they are also great to talk to and very helpful, once they even phoned me after placing an on line order to tell me they had a promotion on and saved me a lot of money.

Cheers

Warren