Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics How to remove static from vinyl (Roland PC600)

• How to remove static from vinyl (Roland PC600)

Posted by JoannaDingle on June 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hi all!
    My newly acquired antique prints very nicely with only two ribbon breaks so far. One caused by printing narrow vertical lines (read that is a no-no), but in other instance found ribbon that snapped was clinging to the vinyl being printed, so am wondering if static caused the ribbon to cling and therefore snap.
    I do not know how to remove surface static. Is there something I should wipe it with?
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

JoannaDingle replied 11 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lorraine Clinch

June 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hi Joanna, you can try wiping with IPA (not the beer :lol1: ) and a lint-free cloth, this helps reduce static, I have found.

Lorraine

• JoannaDingle

June 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm
    quote Lorraine Clinch:

Hi Joanna, you can try wiping with IPA (not the beer :lol1: ) and a lint-free cloth, this helps reduce static, I have found.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,
    Errr… I really am a newbie. What is IPA?

• Lorraine Clinch

June 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Isopropyl Alcohol. It’s great for all sorts of prep & de-greasing, I use it daily on boards, vinyl and vehicles prior to applying vinyl. Grafityp are one supplier.

• JoannaDingle

June 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm
    quote Lorraine Clinch:

Isopropyl Alcohol. It’s great for all sorts of prep & de-greasing, I use it daily on boards, vinyl and vehicles prior to applying vinyl. Grafityp are one supplier.

:thanks:

• Alex Pirozek

June 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Isopropanol is all i use on the PC-600 for cleaning the vinyl down EVERYTIME before printing. Can’t remember the last time i had a ribbon snap.
    When i used them I found that Kurtz type of ribbons from germany snapped on me often, I only use original Roland or the other main refill supplier in the UK.
    You can reduce the head temp slightly if it’s still giving you problems.
    Also check the foam roller (the small roller that puts the ribbon down after the head) as this needs to be in good condition as well.

Alex.

• JoannaDingle

June 21, 2012 at 7:26 am
    quote Alex Pirozek:

Isopropanol is all i use on the PC-600 for cleaning the vinyl down EVERYTIME before printing. Can’t remember the last time i had a ribbon snap.
    When i used them I found that Kurtz type of ribbons from germany snapped on me often, I only use original Roland or the other main refill supplier in the UK.
    You can reduce the head temp slightly if it’s still giving you problems.
    Also check the foam roller (the small roller that puts the ribbon down after the head) as this needs to be in good condition as well.

Alex.

Hi Alex,
    Yes, the Kurtz ribbon is not good, I have just tried samples. I need to find the isopropanol over here, as ethanol can only be bought in 10ml quantities because people make booze from it. I didn’t have a problem with static with iron-on material, only vinyl and having read (probably your) other threads reduced head temperature prior to starting work. Only unavoidable problem is that printing is so darned expensive 🙁 Am going to have to look into an ecosolvent at some point but that is big bucks.
    Will look for the foam roller – good to know.
    Thanks for the advice!