Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions CNC Router and Engraving help with system 100 machine

• help with system 100 machine

Posted by Phillip Patterson on November 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

hi all,

i have been given a system 100 desktop cnc/engraving machine. the machine looks old and comes with a box which has various buttons for engraving. it doesnt have a usb but various other connections such as for the transformer, (paralel port (ithink!), and 1 or 2 others but no usb.

i was hoping if someone could tell me how i would operate this machine as i have never used a cnc before. also would i need the box with the function buttons it come’s with or can i adapt it to run off the computer somehow or would i need both the box and a computer connection?? also i have heard of mach 3 so i assume i get an illustartor file save as a .dxf and use mach3 to operate the machine. is that right???? i assumed system 100 was the model no. but there are loads of different types of system 100’s so what is a system 100 machine??

thanx 🙂

Martin Pearson replied 13 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Simon.James

December 1, 2010 at 12:32 am

hi

you can purchase a usb to parralell cable on ebay for a bout £6 with a cd as you need to set up a driver. you will then need the machine driver to run the machine.

the biggest problem will be though if the machine is old the drivers may only run on a very old pc platform like windows 95 or maybe older. sounds like a good project though let us all know how you get on with it?

simon – cardiff

• RayRosher

December 1, 2010 at 5:25 am

I wouldn’t bother with the usb to parallel cable as most of the time for things like this they don’t work,
    Just try hooking it up to an old PC see what happens

• Phillip Patterson

December 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm

thanx for your replies guys, i will try both and see how i get on. is there not like a default driver for cnc’s?? for example if i had made a cnc, i wouldnt have any drivers for it or would i purchase the drivers from somwhere??

thanx

phillip

• Martin Pearson

December 1, 2010 at 11:14 pm

From what you have said it sounds like it may have been a stand alone machine, not driven by a computer at all. If that is the case then you are unlikely to find any suitable drivers for it to run from a PC.
    Is there not any other info on it anywhere which might make researching a little easier and more productive.