Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Help, Strange 3M Graphic Film Code (3M CHMN-10380)

• Help, Strange 3M Graphic Film Code (3M CHMN-10380)

Posted by Simon Strom on October 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Has anyone ever heard of this color specification before? I can’t find any listing for it though 3M nor on Google. I have a few of the 3m Graphic Film charts, but no matches. It’s called out in the Volkswagen Corporate ID and it’s labeled as a Foil (Opaque).

These are the specifications for other types of color application.

Volkswagen Blau (Blue)
    CMYK = 100,65,0,0
    Foil (Translucent) = 3M VT 4183
    RAL 5002 Ultramarine Blue

Thanks in advance for any help!

Simon Strom replied 13 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Shane Drew

October 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I think you’ll find it is a specific colour made for VW. Its probably a 3M corporate colour. As such, it may not be listed, and would be a ‘special order’ or only available to ‘authorised’ sign shops.

** edited to fix ‘obvious typo ** :doh:

• Robert Lambie

October 6, 2010 at 10:02 pm

This might be no use mate… but…

I was asked to quote on a full wrap for a Ford Focus RS500 in Matt Black Foil.
    i too was puzzled by "foil"… it turned out to be just the new solid colour wrap 3M Matt Black. sorry, forgot the series code. 90?

they discribe it like this here too…
    http://www.carsession.com/car-news/ford … rs500.html

• Gill Harrison

October 6, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hi Simon

The VT code indicates a colour matched film. It will probably need a call to 3M to find out availability. If it’s translucent the code might be 3630-VT4183 ?
    Sorry not to be any better help…

Gill

• Robert Lambie

October 6, 2010 at 10:05 pm

what is with the Foil description though… matt foil just doesnt go together in my head! 😕 :lol1:

• Gill Harrison

October 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

what is with the Foil description though… matt foil just doesnt go together in my head! 😕 :lol1:

Well when the Germans did the recent Ford RS 500 wraps it was described as 3M foil and a 3M chap told me it was German for "Film" but I don’t know any German so not too sure.
    I’ll have to find out more from 3M….its bugging me now 🙄

• Michael Szwacki

October 7, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’m not German but I’ve spent few months there doing signs and I can confirm that "Foil" its basically vinyl.

TBH I didn’t know "vinyl" word before I came to the UK 🙂
    It was always Foil, Film or Folia in polish
    Mike

• Simon Strom

October 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks everybody for the input! The exterior project manager / engineer here at my company that I’ve been working with got a paint sample of RAL5002. He said it’s a dead match to 3M 7725-137 Saphhire Blue High Performance Vinyl. I was also confused by the term "foil", but now that’s solved with advice given here. We’re working on signs for the new VW plant being built in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We have a group from here meeting with them on Friday. It’s been a little hectic to say the least. Especially having to convert their specs where I’ve had to from metric to imperial measurement. It doesn’t help that some of our products are actually manufactured in metric. So some of the graphics have been a compromise between the two. I’ll post a few photos when the first phase of the job is done. It might be a few months though.

Thanks again. You’ve all been a big help as usual.

Simon