Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl help please with Oracal 751 Weeding problems ?

• help please with Oracal 751 Weeding problems ?

Posted by Marcella Ross on February 18, 2003 at 11:01 pm

Has anyone else had weeding problems with Oracal?
    I cut a job in 6mm high lines and text, I ran a test cut as usual and on weeding it immediately, it was fine……..but after running through the entire job, it was unable to be weeded It seems that the adhesive was’gelling’ back together again within minutes of being cut. I had to re-cut the entire job in Metamark, the difference was outstanding.
    Europoint had previously told me this was a problem with ‘older’ stock of vinyl but the 751 I had just delivered was of a new batch. I’m waiting on their comments.

Marcella

Marcella Ross replied 21 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

February 18, 2003 at 11:29 pm

I heard the same sort of thing Marcella from some folk in the USA.
    But that was about 18 months ago & only applied to 651 Oracal.
    The gelling back of the adhesive did actually happen, the reason was something to do with they tried to improve the adhesion or tried to use another type. Not sure exactly what. Anyway they became fully aware of the problem and withdrawn all the stock from their distributors.

We use hundreds of metres of 1230 wide 751 every week and have never had this problem. Infact in the last few weeks probably about 1800 metres. No probs!
    Having said this iโ€™m not saying in anyway you canโ€™t have had this happen to you. There is every chance they have had this problem raise its head yet again. Keep us posted on it, it will be interesting to see what they say the cause is.

If in future you do ever get a problem with your vinyls performance.. donโ€™t bin any of it!
    Give them a call and they will send someone out to check it and to take batch numbers. Also to replace with new vinyl for the damaged/faulty goods. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Marcella Ross

February 19, 2003 at 9:59 am

That’s what I heard from Europoint Robert, they’d tried a new adhesive but it had caused exactly this problem and it was withdrawn. As for the 751 I’ve just had delivered, Europoint are picking up a sample of this material already cut and a sample uncut to test it and see what the problem is. When they get back to me I’ll let you know what they find.

There’s a slight possibility that a stray batch from the problem stuff has found it’s way to me! But in saying that, any Oracal I’ve used, and I’ve been using it now for a few months, doesn’t match Metamark in weeding by a long shot. I’m heading back to Metamark….! It’s worth the extra few pennies.

• Martin Pearson

February 19, 2003 at 10:22 am

Sorry to hear about your problems Marcella, we have just done a menu board for a Chinese Restaraunt, 7mm text and it weeded no problem at all, done with oracal 751. In fact the only problem we had was with the application tape. We got some medium tack tape from Doro Tape and it took 2 of us to pull it off the roll !!
    Has anyone else had a problem like this with application tape?

• Robert Lambie

February 19, 2003 at 10:29 am

no problem marcella.. you completely right to go with what you prefer to use. i do the same with other products myself.

with regards to metamark. not knocking the viinyl but i have tried in the past and found that for other than flat panel work it didnt realy cope with regards to contours, rivetts etc.. to my knowledge, it is also a rebrand..
    if i was switching vinyl myself i would probably go for over all performance.
    but i guess if you like somthing the product there is no reason why you should not use it.. ๐Ÿ˜€

good to see you back on the boards marcella.
    hope business is well for you and say hi to john for me.. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Robert Lambie

February 19, 2003 at 10:33 am

i have had this problem martin.. not with doro though stopped using them a few years ago now.. not sure why, cant remember.
    but the problem with the tape not releasing has happend to me on various brands… i think it can be shelf life or somthing like that..
    i always take 2 inch app tape in the van with me for lining up text.. one day it just stuck solid and would not release.. saying that the stuff is in the van all the time and is cold etc.

• John Childs

February 19, 2003 at 10:50 am

We have only recently started using Oracal, have been using some 751, and think that we may have struck gold. My staff that cut, weed and tape it like it. The lads that fit it like it. If they’re all happy and whinge free then I’m happy.

I’m not sure if it is Marcella’s problem, but in our experience we have found that manufacturers are always messing with their product, making slight alterations to adhesive, face film, backing paper etc. They never tell us this, but just release it into the supply chain on the assumption that they have improved their product. This sometimes proves to be wrong and they then get complaints and go back to the old formula.

It can be a pain when problems happen, but it is the price we pay for continual development which is, after all, a benefit to us. Progress is good and thoughts of working today with the materials we had ten years ago sends shivers down my spine.

• Martin C

February 19, 2003 at 11:30 am

Martin……..I had a similar problem with some Doro application tape as well. As I’m not a big user I usually ask them to send me end of rolls and assumed that I’d got a super heavy tack! Damned hard work getting off the roll but worked as well as any other I’ve tried when laying down.

• Robert Lambie

February 19, 2003 at 11:39 am

martin c, if you have just bought a roll and it is like this then tell them to take it back its probably been on “their” shelfs for a while… ๐Ÿ™„

• Martin C

February 19, 2003 at 12:27 pm

Robert,

It’s the only problem I’ve had and it cost me next to nothing so I persevered. Doro tape have been one of the most helpful companies I have dealt with answering questions and queries about the sign trade beyond the call of duty and I know they would have changed it without question. In this case it wasn’t worth the hassle.

• Martin Pearson

February 19, 2003 at 6:23 pm

Robert, if it was down to shelf life then it would have come to me from Doro tape like that as it was a new log I had ordered, slit in half to give me two 610mm rolls. I had not ordered from them before but the tape seemed to be a good price so I got some.
    I had some conform tape for ages, it was only the end of a slit roll about 200mm and it must have rolled behind the cupboard or something. When I found it I went to use it and it seemed to have lost its stickyness. It came off the roll fine but wouldnt stick to the vinyl so I thought to myself this must be what happens to application tape if left lying about.
    The stuff from Doro Tape was not like this at all, as I say it was farcical trying to get it off the roll, I wish someone had had a camera !! There was Jon at one end trying to hold on and me at the other pulling for Scotland !! The corners of the tape where I was holding it kept breaking and what we had pulled off the roll would flap over and stick together, I’m not joking if Monty Python had done a sketch like this it would have been a classic.
    I’m just glad I haddent ordered a roll of high tack tape !!!!!

• Robert Lambie

February 19, 2003 at 10:25 pm

sorry i dont just mean doro.. not singling them out.. i mean most makes of backing tape. if not all..
    i went through a time of it trying to get one i liked. many that pealed well didnt lift. the ones that did tore too easy when being removed from vinyl…
    and so on..
    shelf life is somthing we are not wise to as we dont know how long suppliers have had it on their shelfs before we get it..

how many times have you had a fax with the end of the month or quarter sale.. rools from only ยฃ40 etc.. this is old stock.. not old because they are bringing in new range but old as in.. shelf life.. brittle vinyl etc…
    i always stay well clear! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Martin C

February 20, 2003 at 9:54 am

Martin…..I’m sure they’d change it, it must be a problem batch?

Listening to your example made me laugh. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜› I had the missus holding a broom handle through the centre of the roll with the kids hanging onto her as I tugged for England at a 45 degree angle!

• Alan

February 20, 2003 at 8:23 pm

Martin, try putting the tape somewhere warm for an hour or so, by a radiator or in the airing cupboard or in front of a fan heater (not too close).
    Once itโ€™s warm to the touch I find itโ€™s no problem, even very old tape. You have to bear in mind that this cold weather does no favours to any adhesive, and especially when itโ€™s a bit long in the tooth.

Alan

• jon vital

February 20, 2003 at 10:34 pm

The amount of times I’ve punched myself in the face when the corner breaks off…….

• Marcella Ross

March 1, 2003 at 10:12 pm

๐Ÿ˜• Just an update on the 751 weeding difficulty.
    Europoint came out and looked at the vinyl and were shocked at the poor performance of their material, especially when another make cut and weeded the same job perfectly. My stock of 751 was removed and I was refunded, although not for the wasted material, but for the remainder only. I have not yet heard anything else from them explaining why it was so bad. I have been told it was going back to the factory for testing, I’ll let you know if I ever hear any outcome.

Marcella