Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters help please with CAMM1 PNC-1000 connecting to laptop?

• help please with CAMM1 PNC-1000 connecting to laptop?

Posted by Beej Curtis on May 27, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Hi all,

I have posted this question on another sign board and still have had no resolve, can anyone help?? I am trying to connect my CAMM1 PNC-1000 to my laptop but can’t get it to work. All the info is below. I am 99.9% sure I am doing evrything correct. the software is Signcut X2 and I have an older version of the software running off a tower PC via Parallel and it works fine.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I really want to run the plotter from the laptop, it would be very helpful in my set-up.

—————-

Hi All,

I have just emailed this to Kjell (SIGNCUT) but hoping someone may be able to help me here too as I am now DESPERATE!

——————

Hi Kjell,

Please help me as I am now tearing out my hair and can’t get the plotter running from my laptop!!

I waited 4 weeks for the Keyspan USB – Serial adapter to come but then I needed a darn Serial cable!! I have just received today a serial cable which had 2 25 pin (male & female) connectors and one adapter to make one end into a 9-pin female from the 25 pin and this now connects to the USB Keyspan Serial adapter! AT LAST!

So, I downloaded the driver for the CAMM1 PNC1000, installed the Keyspan USB first and this has created a virtual port at COMM7. I then plugged in the cable to the plotter and installed the driver telling it that the port for it was COMM7. This too seemed to work fine.

In SignCut – Settings>Cutter I can see it now in my list of devices and so selected it (it says Roland CAMM-1 PNC-1000) and I have checked under Printers & Faxes and it is installed there too.

I then made sure on the machine that it was set to Serial and not parallel and tried a test cut NOTHING!! All I get is ‘This Document Failed To Print’ error and can’t get any info from the plotter when clicking Read Cutter.

I really am so darn fed up now that I truly believe that this won’t work. I cannot set up my old PC (where the old version worked fine from a Parallel port) because it is not in the workshop anymore, the idea of having the laptop was to have mobile access to the plotter and then put it away.

Can you please suggest anything that I may have forgotten to do? It was simply not this difficult to run the older version from the older machine and I desperately need to cut some stuff for Monday and get this working.

Thanks buddy

Beej Curtis

Beej Curtis replied 17 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Peter Shaw

May 27, 2006 at 6:01 pm

I assume that the keyspan gizmo connects to the laptop via USB and converts to serial to connect to the PNC1000.

With serial connections you need to have the correct settings for baud rate, parity etc. I would imagine the keyspan has some software to set this and certainly the PNC1000 has internal settings too. You need to match these. Also check that the PNC1000 is set to serial connection and not parallel because, as I recall, it does not autodetect.

Hope this is useful

Peter

• Mike Grant

May 27, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Beej, I tried to do exactly the same with my laptop and that is partially why I have no hair left 🙄
    I must have spent 3 days trying to get it to work trying all sorts of combinations and settings and eventually gave up. Maybe it just doesn’t like the newer windows XP system.

Sorry I know that is not what you wanted to hear.

• Beej Curtis

May 28, 2006 at 8:30 am

Yes Peter you’re right but I checked all that bud. I know what you’re saying Mike as it’s driving me mad too . . but, it seems I have had a breakthrough. I was told by Kjell from Signcut that the Keyspan USB cable worked so now I have that I think it is the actual ‘adapter’ that came with the serial cable. The adapter makes the DB25 pin end into a DB9 Female and I think this is where the problem lies. I have found the cable here:

http://www.cablecity.co.uk/product_info … ucts_id=89

So I’m going to order this on Monday and I’ll let you know how I get on. I also got an email from Per Johansson / Whisqu Graphic AB who said:

‘I would make a qualified guess to say that the adapter between the 25-pin contact to the 9-pin is the problem. Probably it makes a gender-change instead of a straight-through one.

If you have access to a cable-tester you can check if the txd and rxd connectors matches this:
    http://www.sc-x2.com/index.php?option=c … &Itemid=32

Also note, that when using signcut, you should not use a printer-driver attached to the virtual comport, instead choose the Roland PNC-1000 in signcut, and as device, choose the COM7 directly instead.’

I’ll report back when I have done these last tests but ater that, it’s running off the tower PC I guess, but I HATE letting technology get the better of me! I’m sure it’s ‘user error’!

And besides, I’m not letting the cable get away with some gender-changing issue on MY laptop! Ooh err missus 😉

Beej