Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions CNC Router and Engraving help please finding old cypher systems 4824 router?

• help please finding old cypher systems 4824 router?

Posted by Steve Thornton on May 22, 2007 at 11:03 am

Hi all. I have had this machine sat in the corner of my workshop for a while now, recently had parts of it refurbished with a view to getting it functional again. My current problem is finding a manual or someone with some good info who can help. So far I have destroyed a few cutters which are not cheap, mainly to me ‘experimenting/playing’ trying to understand how the thing works. I have had offers from companies offering to come and give me a days training however the owner of the shop is reluctant to part with money ( being in Scotland might be a reason, sorry). I do not have anymore hair to pull out, so I am appealing for HELP! Thanks in anticipation…. Steve

Steve Thornton replied 16 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Steve Thornton

May 28, 2007 at 6:23 pm

Hi All Plenty of views but no replies, perhaps I need to post a better inquiry.
    OK Then. I have hooked up the machine to my computer and have a copy of Engrave Lab 4.54 with dongle, this is very similar to older versions of Sign Lab, unfortunately I do not have any manuals for Engrave Lab. I have worked out most that I require but am struggling to get my head around Depth, Speed of cut and multiple cuts to achieve cut out holes etc. I have been asked by other sign shops who know of the machine if I can produce cut out letters, but again what kind of fonts do I use to achieve a good product. Well hopefully lots more info will produce some replies, if not don’t worry I’ll try breaking a few more cutters.
    If anyone is having any problems with engraving using a Gravograph IS400 volume maybe I can help them with that…..Cheers Steve

• Robert Lambie

May 28, 2007 at 6:54 pm

steve, what is it you have a problem with, signlab, the router or both?
    can you not call the source in which you obtained either of them from and they could help?

• Steve Thornton

May 28, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Sorry Robert if I am being a bit vague. I have this router, I have it connected and working through Engravelab, however I am having problems interacting my brain with the machine. When I try anything out on it I tend to go too deep with the cutters which then break off, I do realise you might have to do several passes to achieve cuts through laminates. I do not have any manuals either for the router or engrave lab and I believe I could be missing out some vital steps before I commit to the Go button. If there was anyone near to me who was willing for me to look over their shoulder then that would help!. Clear as mud Robbie cheers Steve

• Martin Pearson

May 28, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Steve, I think what Robert was asking was if you could contact the people who supplied the machine or the software to you and ask them for some sort of help.
    There could be all sorts of problems, speed and feed are important as well as depth of cut, also using the right cutter for the material you are cutting.
    Sorry I can’t be of any more help, maybe if you try explaining to the owner just how much money he could be making if you could use it he might be a little more likely to put his hand in his pocket for training.

• David Rowland

May 28, 2007 at 9:15 pm

i have an axys and a gerber router.. both are very different… soulds like your on a learning curve with the software from what I am reading.

What type of cutters are you using and on what surfaces, what is the depth you are trying? we use these from ITC http://www.itc-ltd.co.uk/180-10-LG.pdf , only time they break is when I try and cut stainless without coolant and too much speed, haven’t managed to break them any other way.

• Martin Pearson

May 28, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Steve, don’t know if this is any help or not but worth a try, I tried searching for just the model number on google and got machines manufactured by Quest and Dahlgren, I have no idea if they are the same or similar machines but worth a try.

• Steve Thornton

May 29, 2007 at 8:15 pm

First of all can I thank you for the replies and can I reply in one post.

!. Machine was in workshop when new owner took control, manager through a wobbly and left but destroyed computers and good info.
    2. Owner from Yorkshire and lives in Scotland, need I say more (Sorry Mark, P45 in the post YES)
    3. I use 11/16th 6" cutters various parrallel to points
    4.Dahlgren seems to ring a bell
    5. I think you are right I think I need to get to grips with the software (Sign Lab)and how it interacts with the router

Cheers Steve