Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers Help! Not sure how to do this huge sign with my HP 5500

• Help! Not sure how to do this huge sign with my HP 5500

Posted by sherilee310 on March 27, 2007 at 8:17 am

Hi.. Okay, I’ve got a job to do (soon) that will be 18 feet by 10 feet. I have only had my HP DesignJet 5500uv for a couple months and have never, ever, done this kind of work before. It was a fluke how I got the printer.
    Anyway, I have Onyx software – fortunately – and know I will need to tile this job and laminate it since it will be out for at least a year! If I print it on vinyl adhesive, what would be the best to mount it on? Wood or plastic board – just don’t know.
    Thanks if you can help…

Thanks for your responses… It is an outside sign. It’s for a friend of my mom’s. the Bank is paying. She says charge 4,000. I say ok! Anyways, its for a new building being built in Los Angeles. With a building rendering. and financed by, etc. There is an existing sign up there already with a backlit sign about 30ft up… (I’m doing two).

Thanks, again. My name is Sheri out here in LA and your forum site here has already helped me a lot! I’ve been reading. this is my first post.

Shane Drew replied 17 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Shane Drew

March 27, 2007 at 8:31 am

Welcome to the boards.

Not sure what conditions it will be under, why not print it in a banner, subcontract it out, then fit it with sail track?

Plenty of companies over there offer that service from what I see. Anyone with a Superwide printer…

Expensive exercise doing it any other way. Have you quoted the job already.

• Martin Pearson

March 27, 2007 at 8:47 am

Hi, Firstly you haven’t really given enough detail for anyone to be able to help you very much. Is this going inside or outside? what will it be mounted to, a solid wall on a building or something similar or is it to be pole mounted? Were abouts are you as temperature can play a big part especially if plastics are used. Is this supply only or will you have to install it as well ?

Like Shane has said if you have no idea how to go about this you may be better sub contracting this out to someone with more experience and just take a commission or mark up on the job.

If you introduce yourself in the hello forum you will also get more help from board members, we are a friendly bunch but we like to know who we are talking to.

• Shane Drew

March 27, 2007 at 10:32 am
    quote sherilee310:

Thanks for your responses… It is an outside sign. It’s for a friend of my mom’s. the Bank is paying. She says charge 4,000. I say ok! Anyways, its for a new building being built in Los Angeles. With a building rendering. and financed by, etc. There is an existing sign up there already with a backlit sign about 30ft up… (I’m doing two).

Thanks, again. My name is Sheri out here in LA and your forum site here has already helped me a lot! I’ve been reading. this is my first post.

Sheri, I’d be doing a sail track banner sign for sure. I’d also be subcontracting it out, as you are obviously inexperienced in this type of thing (no offense). Is the backlit one going to be replaced too? Is it a perspex face, or a flexface? Either way you’ll need to know the sizes before you can do new faces.

You’ll need a cherry picker to install them that high (here you need a license for that). You’ve obviously got plenty of room in the profit margin ($4000 seems a lot of money to me) so subby it out, and put a markup on it. Let the subcontract sign shop worry about all the technical things, you just sit back and take the cream off the top.

If your banks are like our banks, they’ll be getting a second or third quote anyway, whether your mums friend says it is a good price or not.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

• sherilee310

April 1, 2007 at 10:09 am

what’s a sail track banner?

• Shane Drew

April 1, 2007 at 10:47 am
    quote sherilee310:

what’s a sail track banner?

May be called something else over there Sherilee. It’s used a lot on Boat masts, to slide the sail up and down.

A pic is here http://www.paskal.com.au/products.asp?c … ccessories