Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Help Needed – Changing Ink setup on Mimaki CJV30-100

• Help Needed – Changing Ink setup on Mimaki CJV30-100

Posted by Simon Burns on March 11, 2021 at 4:25 pm

I have a Mimaki CJV30-100 which was used for 4 colour printing and all 8 cartridges are out of date.

1. Can I just add 4 new cartridges and print or does it need all 8 to be new?

2. can any of the cartridge slots be left empty and the printer still operate?

3. I eventually want to print to window film so would need a white cartridge. If I set the printer to 6 colour and white do I have to fill the LC, LM and white cartridge slots for the printer to work and what happens about the 8th empty slot?

https://www.hybridservices.co.uk

Simon Burns replied 3 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jamie Wood

March 11, 2021 at 5:46 pm

You should be able to just fill 4 of the slots to get you going, but eventually, you will need to fill the others as well. I would highly recommend replacing all of the carts, and not running it on 4 all of the time.

The printer will still operate, but leave the empty carts in their slots. It will probably beep at you.

Below the cartridge bays, there should be coloured labels, indicating which cartridge goes where, depending on your setup. The 8th cart could be another white, or possibly light black. if you post a photo, that might help.

• Simon Burns

March 11, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Thanks for that Jamie.

My problem is I want to check the printer is all working properly for the least outlay (ie: just get 4 CMYK cartridges for now) and then if all good add white, as I want to eventually print on clear film. Is there a way to set them up as 4 colour and white or do I have to add the LC and LM to have white as well?

• Jamie Wood

March 12, 2021 at 6:54 am

I’m pretty sure, that if it’s set up as anything other than 2 x CMYK, you will need ink in all of the slots, so you will have to add LM & LC, plus whatever goes in the 8th slot.

• David Wilde

March 11, 2021 at 8:01 pm

I dont have this model printer, however I’m fairly sure adding white is not just a case of getting a white cartridge, I think the whole ink system need flushing and there maybe some issues on the printhead. I have a Roland printer we considered converting for white ink and I was quoted nearly £1000 for the conversion.

Like I say, I don’t have a mimaki, so they may be different but I’d be surprised if you could just swap the colours to suit.

• Allister wells

March 12, 2021 at 9:05 am

if your mamaki is like ours the 2 slots for each colour are t pieced together in the back .. i would imagine the whole system would need repiping so that each colour on the printhead has its own separate line to the print head thus splitting the double 4 colour printhead into 8 separate colours … then i would imagine each 1 would need assigning in the software ? ..i maybe talking bollocks but i cant see any other way it would work .. also the dampers would need replacing due to the colour change

• Simon Burns

March 12, 2021 at 10:49 am

Hi

Yes i’ve just checked and the pairs of colours are T junction connectors at the back, but there is enough slack to be able to remove the T and reconnect the colours back up. I’d then flush the LC and LM lines and completely replace the other two for white along with the dampers.

Next question though: Could I assign the colours to be C Cl M Ml Y _ K _ so that a line flush would allow me to go from 4 to 6 easier or does the swap to 6 colour have to be C M Y K LC LM _ _ where completely different colours need to go down the lines requiring completely new lines and dampers?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Simon Burns.
  • Unknown Member

March 12, 2021 at 11:32 am

What ink type are you using?