Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Roland Cutters Help installing Roland PNC 1860 on windows

• Help installing Roland PNC 1860 on windows

Posted by Gordon Connelly on May 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Hi everybody,

I have an older Roland cutter (pnc 1860) but can’t get it installed… I am running XP so it should be compatible with it. I seem to have a couple of options with cables. I have a USB to parallel cable and a parallel to what looks like a serial cable of some sort (like the rs232 ones).

Not sure what ports to designate when installing it. Also, do you need to set up for the size of vinyl your using – I read somewhere that you need to set things up before using it?

My head hurts with this, been at it for hours…

Any help would appreciated.

Gordon

Gordon Connelly replied 11 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Frank Droog

May 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm

If your using a dedicated sign making program like Signlab,Flexi, Omega etc, you dont need any windows drivers. With these types of programs, you just tell them what port its on.

If your using Corel or Illustrator, without any cutter plugins, you probably need to go to Rolands Web site and download and install the appropriate Windows Printer Driver.

You might be able to find some plugins for Corel to bypass the printer driver

Connecting serial is the easiest and most reliable.
    USB to serial is also a piece of cake with an adapter.
    Connecting Parallel, could be a problem.
    You might have to go into your computers BIOS and set your LPT port to be in SPP mode instead of ECP or EPP. The last 2 are super high speed port modes and probably wont work with the old Roland.

Ive never personally dealt with USB to parallel, so i dont know how tricky that is.

• Gordon Connelly

May 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thanks a lot, Frank… I’ll try that. Appreciated.

• Gordon Connelly

May 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hi again, Frank.

Thanks very much for the advice. We got it working on an older parallel printer cable. We had to change the settings on the cutter to parallel and as soon as we done that it sprang to life.

Your advice of ignoring the windows driver really helped.

Gordon