Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Help choosing suitable digital print material for the Mimaki CJV30-130

• Allister wells

September 29, 2022 at 1:39 pm

we run 2 mimakis we have used just about everything though ours at some point without any problems we mostly use metamark at the min ..depends what you are wanting the material to do ?

• Richard

October 14, 2022 at 8:41 am

Thanks Allister for your reply,

We mostly use Metamark MD5 & MD I along with their banner material, but we’ve been experiencing the material “rippling” while been printed, it would be interesting to know what printer heat and print profile settings other people use without a problem so we can compare them with ours.

Richard

• Joe Killeen

October 14, 2022 at 10:53 am

Hi Richard

That’s interesting as I am having the same issues with Metamark rippling to the point I think it done in the printhead. Rippled for about 10-15m on the left side, of course it happened when no one was watching.

Back to Avery, Oracal and Arlon for me never any issues with these and all around the same price.

• Richard

October 20, 2022 at 1:31 pm

Hi Joe,

Its interesting to hear that your having the same issue with Metamark rippling, ours to starts to Ripple for about 10-15m on the left side, and as a result I have to watch the machine printing to avoid a head crash. Can I ask what printer you use that’s having this issue – Its not a Mimaki CJV- 130 is it? :))

Thanks

Richard

• Jamie Wood

October 17, 2022 at 8:12 am

When we had Mimakis, we ran them at 35 pre / 35 print / 47 post on the heaters. I know Metamark changed the liner on some of their material, from a PE backing to a craft backing. We had issues with cockling, when printing onto clear laminate, so switched to clear versions of the print vinyl, which retains the PE liner. Which material are you using?

• Richard

October 20, 2022 at 1:22 pm

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the info on the printer heater settings you use, I will adjust me heaters to the same settings and try a print, also going to look at how we store or print media. otherwise I’m going to try the Avery brand media and see how we go.

Thanks again

Richard

• Jamie Wood

October 21, 2022 at 1:33 pm

We did have the same problem on Avery material, but I haven’t used it for years. We use mainly Metamark and Orajet, with no problems, but keep the media in the same room as the printers. We do use Arlon and Drytac as well, which are both good.

• Richard

October 31, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Hi Jamie

Just tried a print using the print heater settings you use on your Mimaki and the rippling has gone away for now! Wow. I will see how we go one with some more print we will be doing soon.

Just for record what Print profile settings do you use commonly with the Heat settings?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Richard

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    October 14, 2022 at 12:39 pm

“sometimes” if there are issues like this it can be down to how the vinyl has been stored.
    You take your roll of vinyl out of the box and you stand it on its end on a concrete floor.
    Particularly in colder weather, the concrete is very cold and the cold passes up through the lower section of the vinyl. if left long enough the paper liner carrying the vinyl can become damp, to some extent.
    but let’s just say one side is very cold. you put it into the printer and the first thing it hits is the heaters. the side that’s dry warms up as it should but the side that’s much colder can form a very slight wave or even rise a little. Of course, this creates problems and a big one is a head crash!

Most manufacturers have their media stored inside a nice thick plastic bag with plastic ends and encased in thick cardboard boxes to eliminate moisture types of issues as well as impact damage. but not always if you buy part rolls that have been converted to part-rolls in-house.

However, no matter what, even if in a box etc. one side can become much colder than the other if stored on its end on a cold concrete floor, or similar. so it is worth considering, particularly when we head into winter.

• Richard

October 20, 2022 at 1:40 pm

Hi Robert

Thanks for reply, the room that our print media is stored in is dry, but not heated, the print media is stored off the the floor on stands. I have the same issue even printing with a new roll out of the box. I may try the Avery brand next time, who do you recommend as a supplier?

Thanks

Richard

• Robert Lambie

Administrator
    October 21, 2022 at 12:19 am

For general printing Polymeric, I will mainly use Arlon, Oracal and occasionally Image Perfect.
    I have been using Oracal for the longest, about 20 constant years, but using Arlon more and more.
    Of those, I have listed…
    William Smith sells Arlon, amongst various other brands.
    Spandex: Arlon, Oracal and Image Perfect.

• Richard

October 25, 2022 at 1:38 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Regards

Richard

• Jamie Wood

October 31, 2022 at 5:03 pm

We tended to use only 2 profiles, with Onyx. One was an Arlon PDF6000 one, another was an LG one, can’t remember the actual name. Which RIP are you using?

• Richard

October 31, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Hi Jamie

We are using Fincut 9 with Rasterlink 5SG rip.

Richard

• Jamie Wood

November 1, 2022 at 8:06 am

Sorry, can’t help you there, as we never used RasterLink.