Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl have major oracle 651 problems help please?

• have major oracle 651 problems help please?

Posted by Kevin Flowers on April 23, 2006 at 10:35 am

Hi all
    never used 651 before but have 2000 fleet numbers to make which equates to 80 mtrs of vinyl so thought i would use 651 instead of the normal 751c or more recently used 551 both of with are very good vinyls which i never have problems with.

The problem with the 651 is that as soon as it was put into the cutter it cockled up and curled. I’ve tried it on my Summa D60 and my 120SE it happens on both, the problem is that as the vinyl is cockled it rucks up beteen the rollers as it moves backwards and forwards eventually raising enough to cause the knife to strike causing an axis error. Cut runs are only 1.5mtrs long never had this problem before with any other brand of vinyl & i can load 751c into the cutter and cut the file with no problems.

Needless to say i will be on the phone to Europoint in the morning for them to pick it up and exchange it for a better quality vinyl. All of my vinyl is stored the same and i have left the vinyl to climatise since having it delivered on Thursday.
    Would be interested in your views experiences with this vinyl or similar problems with other vinyl brands

Kev

valegraphics replied 18 years ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • John & Dawn Roddick

April 23, 2006 at 10:40 am

Kevin

I can only assume that there is a problem with this batch. I have used 651 in the past and had no problems with it. I mainly use 751 but I know that there are several people of the boards who use 651 as their main vinyl.

Hope you get it resolved.

Dawn

• Jill Marie Welsh

April 23, 2006 at 11:03 am

I’ve used Oracal 651 for many years with nary a glitch.
    I’m sure it must be just a bad batch.
    I’ve had "chrome" vinyl do as you’ve described, like a tunneling?
    Definately give your supplier a heads-up.
    Hopefully they will make things right.
    Love….jill

• Hugh Potter

April 23, 2006 at 4:47 pm

i use 651 for pretty much everything except recess work, this prob has happened on a couple of occasions, but very little in comparisson to the amount i cut,

mactac is the one that does it in my cutter ! won’t even use the free sample stuff i got anymore !

• Robert Lambie

April 23, 2006 at 6:19 pm

i could be wrong, but i don’t think its anything to do with the type of vinyl you are using. I’m guessing here but ide say

it could be the carrying paper that’s maybe damp, or should i say been damp but now dry? stopping the vinyl from staying flat. when the vinyl travels between the clamped pinches it starts to pucker up.

i would have said it could be the temperature of the room where the vinyl is stored over night being very cold. but seeing as it doesn’t happen with your other stuff, ide say its probably not that.

i give them a call and explain what is happening. it maybe a bad roll or like others have said, bad batch.

• Kevin Flowers

April 23, 2006 at 6:49 pm

Hi all
    thanks for the replies, am going to give them a call tomorrow from past experience i know they will sort it. i’ll just exchange it for 551 or 751c only used it because it was two rolls that was required for the job and it is only to produce fleet numbers.

Rob,
    i agree it probably it is a liner problem, i’ve seen it before with the digital media but as i say kept in the same place as all of the other vinyl which we have no problems with.

Kev

• valegraphics

May 2, 2006 at 10:32 pm

I never had any problems with 651 till saturday.

Applied a mixture of printed md5 and cutting vinyl 651 to 2 vans. The md5 went on great no probs there(quite a large solid panel)

Fitted 651- 065-cobalt blue & 086-brilliant blue.(all dry rob :lol1: ) And had nothing but trouble with air traps, creasing, and not going down well.

As said above ive started using 651 for majority of flat vans and forex jobs. A bit dissapointed really. Think i’ll be using the 751c from now on.

Never had probs like this before tho. Like said before. Maybe a bad batch?

My thoughts are that maybe the forex has a more pourous surface allowing it expell air easier when using a squeegy, than painted laquered steel, which is non-pourous. Probably talking through my @rse. Sounds good though ehh 😳 Just me tuppence.

Matt

Is there an "in-between". Whats 551 like? Never got any swatches for 551.

Matt

• Shane Drew

May 2, 2006 at 10:57 pm
    quote valegraphics:

I never had any problems with 651 till saturday.

Applied a mixture of printed md5 and cutting vinyl 651 to 2 vans. The md5 went on great no probs there(quite a large solid panel)

Fitted 651- 065-cobalt blue & 086-brilliant blue.(all dry rob :lol1: ) And had nothing but trouble with air traps, creasing, and not going down well.

As said above ive started using 651 for majority of flat vans and forex jobs. A bit dissapointed really. Think i’ll be using the 751c from now on.

Never had probs like this before tho. Like said before. Maybe a bad batch?

My thoughts are that maybe the forex has a more pourous surface allowing it expell air easier when using a squeegy, than painted laquered steel, which is non-pourous. Probably talking through my @rse. Sounds good though ehh 😳 Just me tuppence.

Matt

Is there an “in-between”. Whats 551 like? Never got any swatches for 551.

Matt

Matt, you’ll find the problem you experienced is due to the adhesive.

651/551 has a much stronger initial adhesion. Your squeegee action will probably be the culprit 🙄 😛 . 751c has a less aggressive initial ‘grab’ which is typical of cast materials, and as such, bubbles do not get trapped as easy. Also being thinner, the material is easier to work when squeegeeing, and more forgiving with your actual application technique.

651 is thicker, and the combination of the glue, bubbles get trapped easier

Hope I explained that OK.

• Peter Mindham

May 3, 2006 at 6:26 am

Shane,
    What squeegee action works best for you? I too have troubles with bubbles (hey that rhymes) with 651 despite the best ever efforts on prep etc. i still get the odd bubble 🙁
    Peter

• valegraphics

May 3, 2006 at 7:06 am

Cheers shane.

Peter. Itried every trick in the book. Felt, avery double sided, roller, 3m. Nothing expelled the air correctly.

Matt