Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Grayscale Printing from Roland SP-300

• Grayscale Printing from Roland SP-300

Posted by John van Maurik on May 18, 2007 at 4:37 am

Hi, I would like to know if anyone is able to tell me how to print crisp B/W photo prints on a SP-300. I have a market for B/W posters but have not quite been able to get a clear image printed in true gray-scale. I am using the following settings; in color transformation – I ticked "Use embedded ICC profiles" and "Use Separation Color Rule". ICC Input Profiles are all set to "Perceptual" Color Calibration Curves all reset. The color Separation Rule is CMY Dominant and ticked is RGB. Maximum Primary Color Ink @ 100%. Total in at black point 100%. Black Cutoff, gray-scale, 0%. Total ink at black Cutoff 0%, Chromatic Gray Balance, C-M-Y all at 1%. 0% won’t be accepted. Ink limit 400 on Digital Mezzotint with halftone properties all set to 50%.
    This way I am able to create a pretty good gray-scale image but only the image appears grainy which is a petty. I was wondering if anyone had experience in gray-scale printing who can point me in the right direction? I have tried most combinations in the color transformation window but the above mentioned method gave me the best result (after many hours of frustration and many metres of media). Roland has not been much of a help to me other then telling me to keep trying different settings (typical). Printing B/W pictures in full color normally results in there being a slight hue on the print, assuming being the mixture of CMYK colors that make up gray. I would much appreciate any input from people who had similar problems. Cheers, John van Maurik. (mod-edit)

John van Maurik replied 16 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Ian Bingham

May 18, 2007 at 6:36 am

What media and quality settings?
    btw roland isnt a true photo printer, epson or hp ( lot cheaper ) would be better
    ian

• John van Maurik

May 20, 2007 at 8:35 pm

Thank you for your response Ian, I realize that there are machines available in the market that could do a better job printing in gray-scale, there is no doubt about that, but it is more a matter getting the best mileage from your multipurpose machine in the best way possible. We are printing labels (contour cut) posters and canvas, therefore the Roland was the best machine available at the time. Good comment though.
    Cheers,
    John

• stevie thomas

May 20, 2007 at 8:44 pm

john what rip r u using

also is it a sp-300 or the 300 v

I have had the same problem and the only way was to use no composite black just pure black and print it in pre press europe in versaworks rip

let me know whether it is an sp-300 or sp-300v though

I may be able to help you more

• John van Maurik

May 20, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Hi Stevie, Thanks for your input, we’ve had the Roland SP-300 printer for a few years, so we are still using the RolandCOLORIP driver. I looked into converting the printer to Versa works, however one seems to use what you’re used to. Working in color on posters, vinyl or canvas s great and I’m having excellent results. Any ideas or input is great thanks. Cheers,
    John

• stevie thomas

May 20, 2007 at 9:01 pm

as far as i know versaworks is not compatible with and SP-300 but it is compatible with the SP-300v that is why i asked.

There is a proceedure to convert a 300 to a 300v by means of firmware and a few other things.

Which i can find out for you if you like

• John van Maurik

May 20, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Hi Steve, The SP-300 can be converted to Versa works at a cost of (converted to US Dollars) $350.00 in New Zealand, I didn’t think it was worth it as we may be replacing the printer perhaps in the next 6 months or so. Using Eco Sol inks has certainly improved the printing and drying.
    Regards, John

• stevie thomas

May 20, 2007 at 9:15 pm

thanks

eco solmax ink is slightly better too

I had a experience where the greyscale was coming out green but versaworks and eco sol max inks sorted that out

cheers

• Mark Nihotte

May 21, 2007 at 10:14 am
    quote stevie thomas:

thanks

eco solmax ink is slightly better too

I had a experience where the greyscale was coming out green but versaworks and eco sol max inks sorted that out

cheers

Stevie

What settings do you use in versaworks – we were originally taught to print EPS files and greyscale is a nightmare (either green or pink tones – unless in draft mode) – have been getting much better results printing PDF files – have recieved the latest firmware upgrade (belatedly) which the techo says has improvements with ‘true’ spot colours, but have been too busy to spend time playing

Mark

• stevie thomas

May 21, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Mark

To get a good grey scale scale i normally use pre press europe in versaworks but the latest version of the rip 2.2.2 has improved even more wioth the added functionality of improved colour matching is fantastic.

I normall use metamark md5-100 vinyl but i guess that is personal preference.

• stevie thomas

May 21, 2007 at 7:27 pm

mark

p.s

is that a can of 4 x in your hand there :2thumbs:

• Pryam Carter

May 21, 2007 at 7:33 pm
    quote :

We are printing labels (contour cut) posters and canvas

John………….
    what profile do you use for printing onto canvas as i struggle with the versacamm

• Mark Nihotte

May 21, 2007 at 8:26 pm

No its Speights (which stands for Special Piss Enjoyed In Good Homes Throughout Southland…apparently) – very similar to 4X 😀 😀

Found this on the net just before bed (actually able to sleep as no Louis Vuitton Racing last night) which may be what we are all looking for

http://www.rolanddga.com/rnet30/files/support/ … nggrey.pdf (?) (?)

• John van Maurik

May 21, 2007 at 11:04 pm

Hi Pryam, Just to reply to your question in regards to canvas printing, there are two settings I regularly use with great success. The first one I us for deep vibrant colors and the second one for portraits, landscapes and lighter prints. I am using ColoRIP Version 2.1. For rich deep printing the setting is as follows; Select in Print Set-up Graphityp S22P/mode 1, high quality. Set the Color Transform to: tick "Use embedded ICC profile – ICC profile all set to Perceptual, Callibration to Digital Mezzotint – Variant B and ink limit 340. Printer Properties: Dot size, variable, Overprint 2, Pass count 32, Head Speed 1000. Correction curves set to normal, however this can be adjusted to slightly lighter when the color is too vivid. just do a 20 x 5 cm proof print. For quick prints with equally good results use the following settings: Set Up: GPPM White Matt Photo Paper High Quality. Color Transform – Tick Use embedded ICC profile – ICC profile all set to Perceptual, Callibration set to Digital Mezzotint – Variant B and ink limit 300. Printer Properties; Dot Size – variable dry, overprint 1, Passcount 16, head speed 760. Correction curves normal, agaian could be set lighter or darker depending on the tones of the original print. Heater temperature for all canvas printing are 40 degrees for printing and 45 degrees for drying. I finins my canvasses with Pebeo Gouache varnish for watercolours. 2 sprayed on layers of Gouache will give the finished product added protection.
    Happy printing, cheers, John