Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters Graphtec ce5000 setup help with cutting Master 2

• Graphtec ce5000 setup help with cutting Master 2

Posted by Daniel Evans on July 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

Hey guys

I have just purchased a used ce5000-120 and i’ve download the latest cutting master 2 from the graphtec site, pluged it in and it’s connecting fine.

Now i need to set it up perfectly but I have no clue where to start, like changing offset etc, all i’ve done is install cutting master and cut, if i do an A4 size it cuts to the size of my little finger, i know i’m doing something wrong but don’t know what.

Thanks

Daniel Evans replied 12 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Chris Wool

July 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm

quick reply the step size has to be set the same inCM2 and the plotter normally 0.1mm if different it will plot a scaled version

• Daniel Evans

July 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

I thought i was fairly good with computers but i have no idea how to do this, can you please talk me through it…?

• Frank Droog

July 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm

When the plotter is turned on, it briefly display either HL or GL on the LCD
    If it displays GL, it means the plotter is in graphtecs GPGL mode.
    GPGL has 4 resolutions. 254, 508 , 1016 and 2540 steps per inch

press pause
    keep hitting Next till you get to Command.
    press enter
    It should say GPGL
    press enter
    That gets you to Step Size.

Make a not of the number, and make sure cut master is also set for that resolution.

• Daniel Evans

July 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Thank you soooooooooo much for that, i’ve now got it to cut, the settings were 0.100 on both, down that sound right? and at the bottom of CM2 it says size 49.448mm x 200.553mm Should this be 100% accurate? because i’ve measured it and it’s coming out 44mm.

I’ve also got gaps in the lines and the corners arn’t great so as far as i’m awear, i need to setup the offset for the corners but not sure how to do this, also why am i getting judder on the lines?

Thanks for your help so far guys

• Chris Wool

July 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

judder in the lines is usually the knife is not freely rotating in the holder

• Daniel Evans

July 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Thanks guys

Managed to stop the judder, god knows how, i let up on the pressure and that’s now 12, changed the quality to 1 and it seems to be working, put the offset at +2, i’m using a smart knife so the blade all set.

Still not completely happy with the results yet compared to what I got with a basic chinese cutter.

How small a text can these machines handle? I’ve done a lot of detailed logos using the chinese cutter and getting fair results, weeding wasn’t too much of an hassle, i’ve tried one of the logos on the graphtec using the above settings and weeding was a right pain, even turned on the tangential mode which made it even worse.

Also when using the test mode, weeding is fine, but should the square be perfect or am i asking for too much?

Thanks

• Craig Ross

July 16, 2011 at 8:07 am

I’m currently looking in to purchasing one of these, did you get a good deal?

Do you mind saying where you got it from if so. 🙂

• Alex Pirozek

July 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

The test cut square and triangle should be perfect in shape. If they are not then the blade offset is wrong or the cutting strip is damaged. I would say it’s your blade offset.

If you play around with the settings and get your test cut perfect then cut graphics should cut OK to what you see on the screen.

If your test cut is out then everything else will be out leading you astray with other settings you don’t need to change.

• Daniel Evans

July 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Thanks, i’ll keep playing about with the settings until i get it right, if i still don’t get anywhere, i might have to post a pic of the outcome to see if anyone has a suggestion after that.

@Craig, i got it on a well known auction site, just keep a lookout, got it for just over £1000 with a load of vinyl, just need to perfect the settings now until i am happy.

I’ll let you know if i see anymore about.

• Craig Ross

July 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wouldn’t have been from someone in Kent would it?

• Daniel Evans

July 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm

yeah, why’s that?

• Craig Ross

July 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Cause I messaged this person within an hour of them placing it on eBay and had absolutely no response. 🙁 I was gutted when it was removed this morning after obviously a off-ebay deal happening.

How much did you get it for?

• Daniel Evans

July 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

sorry bud, £1300, more than I wanted to spend but needed one ASAP

• Craig Ross

July 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Fair enough was it a CE5000-120 you were after?

Have you managed to work it out yet? Are you still struggling.

• Daniel Evans

July 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Originally no, i was just after a 60, even got offered one for £550 which i was gonna take but decided to go for this one, didn’t realise how big this was ha ha.

still struggling at the mo, i’m fairly new to cutting and there are so many settings to choose. you got a recommendations

It’s got a smart blade in it, ordered a couple more for a spare and another for flock t-shirt vinyl.

• Craig Ross

July 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Well if you change your mind and decide its too big just let me know.

I’m guessing your just starting out.

What blade is in there? 45 or a 60?

What setting do you have it on?
    (When you press enter to measure the width of the vinyl what comes up?)

• Daniel Evans

July 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Wil do buddy.

I’m not sure what blade it has, it’s one of the smart blades from Edward Mathias.

I’m not there at the mo bu i hink it read 5 O9U offset +2 speed 30 press 14 quality 1

does that make sense?

• Chris Wool

July 16, 2011 at 8:01 pm

all these people using CM2 have they bought out a new one.

• Craig Ross

August 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Hows the Graphtec treating you now?

• Daniel Evans

August 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Hi Craig

It’s going really well, put a new cutting strip on and figured out the moving knife holder thing was slightly loose, adjusted that and it goes like a dream, just started contour cutting today, it’s going well but you waste alot of the paper due to having to leave 3 inches at the top.

How have you got on finding one? Not seen any about myself

• Chris Wool

August 3, 2011 at 10:48 pm

you can get larger sticky cutting mats or make your own with card and photo spray glue, to save the lost space.

• Daniel Evans

August 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Great idea, was thinking of doing something like this, what thickness of card do you use? don’t want to put something to thick through?

• Chris Wool

August 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm

i used a a3 sheet of 350 gsm card drew the a4 sheet outline in the middle so could position the sheet square and use the edge of the card to line up to the plotter bed.

• Daniel Evans

August 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

Thanks Chris

I’ll give that a go on Monday.