Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters Graphtec CE5000-120 1200mm

• Graphtec CE5000-120 1200mm

Posted by Reiss Cleal on February 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm

We are just about to start our own small vinyl business and are looking to get a plotter very soon.

I have been looking into them and have found the Graphtec CE5000-120 1200mm. Would anyone have anything against this one or any warnings for me buying this?

For extra info, this is what we will need it for –

– Reliable vinyl cutter/plotter
    – Something that is good and not overly complex for a new company
    – Capable of cutting 1220mm vinyl rolls
    – No printing required
    – Works with Corel draw and Illustrator (though not essential)

To start off we will mostly be doing vinyl work on vans, shop windows and for exhibitions.

Cheers! Reiss
    (P.s) I did post this in the general cutter discussion but have now narrowed it down to this one and want advice, thanks!

Reiss Cleal replied 11 years, 3 months ago 11 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Nick Eccles

February 4, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I have the 600mm (CE5000-60) version and had it for about 4 years and it has never missed a beat I am very happy with it, there are times when it has been running 10-12hours non-stop without complaint !

Nick

• Reiss Cleal

February 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Cheers Nick! Couldn’task for a better review! Perfect!

• Russell Pavey

February 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’ll Echo what Nick said – had mine for 6 years now with daily useand fingers crossed has never gone wrong. I use smart knives in mine and it’s just a great little machine. I think you are wise going for the 1200mm wide version as I also have the 600mm and it does catch me out on the odd occasion when I need the extra width.

Good luck

• Harry Cleary

February 4, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Plus one for the Graphtec…bulletproof machine.

• Reiss Cleal

February 4, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Very good to hear Russell, 6 years wow nice! Let it live on! Yes we though to dive in with the 1200mm would be better right off the bat.

Haha bulletproof sounds like what we need Harry!

• Martin Pearson

February 4, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Same as Harry, another happy graphtec user, had mine for over 10 years now & had no real problems. Only problem I had was with a sensor 2 or 3 years ago but didn’t even have to replace it. Good clean & it was working again.

• Reiss Cleal

February 4, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Cheers for the further reinforcement Harry!

• Harry Cleary

February 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    quote Reiss Cleal:

Cheers for the further reinforcement Harry!

You mean Martin, I’m the good looking one! 😀

• Reiss Cleal

February 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Nope nope I thanked you up above this bit ‘Haha bulletproof sounds like what we need Harry!’ ^_^

• John Singh

February 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Solid bit of kit

Had mine for years with no hitch

• Robert Lambie

February 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm

we have two 54inch wide graphtecs at present, had one before that for many years too. Roland & Graphtec for me on cutters.

• Brian Hays

February 5, 2013 at 8:10 am

In case you were not aware Reiss, although you still may be able to buy the CE5000 it has been superceeded by the improved CE6000 series.

• David Rogers

February 5, 2013 at 9:05 am

Before I joined my present company they were using a CE5000-60 and it really wasn’t to my liking having come from a Summa D120 and having my own Summa Pro 1500.

Graphtec make excellent machines – 10+ years back I used a 20 year old 500mm one for about a year before getting a 1200mm FC5000(?).

I just wasn’t all that impressed with the build quality & operation…a fair step up from a PCUT type machine, but we shouldn’t all worship the name. It is after all their entry range…Mercedes make SMART cars too.

I’d rather have a 2 or 3 year old top of the range than a new entry level for the same money.

But hey…that’s just me!

• Peter Dee

February 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

We run a CE-5000 120 as well as a Summa D60.
    Whilst the Graphtec has never let us down I do feel that the Summacut is more refined and better engineered. A simple thing is that the cutter head does not return to the "park" on the Graphtec; you push it back.
    Like for like I would choose the Summa over the Graphtec but then I think the CE-5000 is an older design anyway.

• Reiss Cleal

February 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

Cheers John just what I wanted to hear, if it’s reliable and works to a high standard, it’s all good! Cheers for the info too Robert!

Brian i didn’t know that but the 6000 series is out of our price range sadly.

Hi David, why wasn’t the Graphtec to your liking in your former company? Did it still get the job done? Thanks.

Thanks for the insight Peter, I think to get a Summa that cuts 1200 it would take us way over our current budget though. 🙁 i must admit the 24" version looks so much nicer than the Graphtec! Though im not sure it’s worth sacrificing a 1200mm for a 600mm. What do you think?

Again thanks to everyone for helping!

• Peter Dee

February 6, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    quote Reiss Cleal:

Thanks for the insight Peter, I think to get a Summa that cuts 1200 it would take us way over our current budget though. 🙁 i must admit the 24″ version looks so much nicer than the Graphtec! Though im not sure it’s worth sacrificing a 1200mm for a 600mm. What do you think?

Well 95% of our vinyl work is done on the 610mm machine. We got the larger machine secondhand just for those few jobs needing it.
    In fact before getting it we would just tile any oversize jobs.
    It just depends on what sort of work you are considering as typical fascias, vans and general signs will be well catered for by a high quality 610mm machine.
    Primarily I would tend to invest wisely in the main workhorse.

• David Rogers

February 6, 2013 at 6:36 pm
    quote Reiss Cleal:

Hi David, why wasn’t the Graphtec to your liking in your former company? Did it still get the job done? Thanks.

I’d been using high spec. high output SUMMAS…both the last companies D120 and my own Summa Sign PRO 1400…few years old, but what a beast.

I found the ‘new’ Graphtec CE5000-60 to be:

A) FAR too small for what I had in mind and so quite limiting.
    B) Slow, noisy and not a completely satisfying machine to use.

I’d always get a larger, older machine that’s top spec for the time / last model than compromise for an OK model that’s new.

Just to add – you can always put smaller material in the bigger machine….not so great the other way round!

Waaay back when I have a 500mm…I made all of my jobs for 500mm.

Much like print…you live with a smaller machine – but the bigger you have the more flexibility it allows you.

• John O'Sullivan

February 7, 2013 at 1:03 am

[quote="Reiss Cleal"]We are just about to start our own small vinyl business and are looking to get a plotter very soon.

Reiss,as you’ve said your trying to start up,i started in 2009 and every day as you learn more and your skills progress your thinking will change,a graphtec machine like(ce5000-120) within your budget will do what you need it to do and more, and as you move forward you will probley buy a printer and still have the same cutter doing what it needs to do.im sure david is right that a summa is a great machine,better quicker etc but your not there yet or am i.hope you get up and going soon and best of luck with your new business.john 🙂

• Reiss Cleal

February 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Thank you John!

I thought I had it down to the Graphtec 5000-120 and then the Suma was mentioned and it does look nicer but you are right. Should work my way up and not stretch to thin at the start.

Thanks for everyones input it has helped me loads!