Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat Glasgow gets the Commonwealth Games 2014

• Marcella Ross

November 9, 2007 at 3:23 pm

only if they’re lucky! 😀

• George Elsmore

November 9, 2007 at 3:24 pm

entering the caber tossing Marcie? :lol1:

• Harry Cleary

November 9, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Thought you were the tossing expert George?? 😀 😀 😀

Congrats Glasgow 😀

• George Elsmore

November 9, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Koff!

• John Wilson

November 9, 2007 at 3:35 pm

My shop is right next to Hampden park so I’ll be mobbed…….. pity I’ve got to wait 7 years :lol1: :lol1:

• Phill Fenton

November 9, 2007 at 4:42 pm

Sleazy Soapy Salmond will be even more unbearable than usual and trying to claim all the credit. That fella is so irritating 🙄

• David Lowery

November 9, 2007 at 4:50 pm

WTF 😮

It’s too early for Xmas avatars Phill………………isn’t it 😕

• Nicola McIntosh

November 9, 2007 at 6:21 pm

wonder if they will keep the signage to be done in glasgow? just thought about that today 😕

nik

• David Lowery

November 9, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Haven’t been on for a short time and look what happens….Nik’s younger sister has put her picture in Nik’s place :love:

• Ian Bingham

November 9, 2007 at 6:33 pm

not all in glasgow, we did some banners for it already down here

Ian

• Graeme Harrold

November 9, 2007 at 8:02 pm
    quote Phill:

Sleazy Soapy Salmond will be even more unbearable than usual and trying to claim all the credit. That fella is so irritating 🙄

Yup, I grew up with him as a local politician, still can’t believe he is where he is now…….he is still a right mammary :you:

:dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: Well Done Glasgow :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

• Hugh Potter

November 10, 2007 at 7:50 am

Glasgow may have won the right to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games but questions are already being asked about how the country, celebrated as the birthplace of economist Adam Smith, TV inventor John Logie Baird (who actually never invented anything in scotland!) and heart disease, is going to fund the Games.

Scotland’s second city beat off a spirited bid by the capital of Nigeria, Abuja, to win the vote 47 to 21.

However, sources close to the Scottish bid team have admitted that the money for the Games has yet to be put in place.

One insider told The Spoof that "we have been working on this bid for years but we had real trouble finding the money to be able to pull it off. Luckily, last Thursday, we received an email from a Mr John Ngobo. Mr Ngobo is the son of the former Finance Minister of Nigeria, Mr Nancy Ngobo. In his email, he explained how his father had fled Nigeria and that over $1.2 billion was left behind in his bank accounts. His father has since died. We have agreed to give Mr Ngobo £250,000 so that he can secure the release of that money and he has agreed that he will give us the money that we need to fund the Games. We sent the money to him in cash yesterday".

He went on, "we were all amazed that this man would help us in a bid against his native Nigeria but given what he told us happened to his dad, it is not surprising that he is willing to help. We are looking forward to receiving the money from Mr Ngobo in the next couple of days".

News of the bid win sparked street parties in Glasgow. News of the funding email sparked an equally large party in a small village in north west Nigeria.

• Hugh Potter

November 10, 2007 at 8:27 am

Well done to Glasgow for winning the thing,

but……

(hang on while Hugh dons his tin had and body armour!!)

first thing that i thought was "great… more for us down here to fund" !! how on earth is Scotland (no disrespect guys), gonna be funding 500 million squid ? my guess is straight thru Whitehall, thanks to the Scots highwayman at No10 i fear.

jeez, we already sub’d you a parliament building, now ya want us to pay for this too ? I’m against independence for Scotland and wales, but man, it’d save us a few bob if Scotland go it alone !

seriously though, i have nowt against Scotland, or the tribes there-in, , it’s just that i think it’s bad enough we need to find billions to stage the Olympics, especially after the £1,000,000,000 wembley farce (did anyone notice Arsenal’s emirates stadium was british built, £40m quoted, finished on time and in budget ?) and now we got the commonwealth games too. it’s ridiculous.

OK, it all seems great, but it’s us, the ordinary English, Scots or Welsh that gets hit with the tax increases (hidden or otherwise). fine for those with big corporate money, it’ll cost them little personally, and they’ll get all the tickets, as usual, off our backs ! I wish people would realise what this all costs us, or do we all get a free ticket ? prob not, i guess all the opening night tickets will go to corporate, government, honoured guests and the usual brown nose brigade, the remaining 8 tickets will probably be via a £2 per text phone lottery. oh joy !

bah…..humbug

• Robert Lambie

November 10, 2007 at 11:29 am

I wonder if the logo will be just as impressive as the London Olympic one? 😕

• Shane Drew

November 10, 2007 at 11:41 am
    quote Nicola Rowlands:

wonder if they will keep the signage to be done in glasgow? just thought about that today 😕

nik

From experience Nik, They’ll source the cheapest supplier.. Glasgow or Not.

When the olympics were on in Sydney, more than half the signage came from Queensland…

The assumption seems to be that the suppliers in the host city will try and ‘make hay while the sun shines’ so the organisers usually look further afield for a competitive price.

I believe that most of the signage for the commonwealth games in Melbourne was interstate sources too.

Tenders will be posted years in advance, so keep your eye on the government tender lists. If its anything like here though, you have to be ‘in the know’ to be in on the ground floor. Most shops like me get sub contract jobs form the main sign supplier.

End of the day, the guys at the top of the food chain make the big money, and the guys like us at the bottom do it for nothing.

It brings in a lot of money though Hugh. Your tourism and such will generate signage too, so if you think outside the square, lots of opportunity for extra work.

For the Olympics, I signed a heap of buses that got the contract to transport dignitaries around in Sydney, kept me busy for weeks.

Even things like the Indy here, I get work every year just tidying up signs, and doing new stuff.

You’ll find the same thing will happen there. Especially if the town is pro active in their marketing.

Congrats to all who get work from the games. You’ll have a lot of competition though.

• Phill Fenton

November 10, 2007 at 11:57 am

Still – It’s good news about John Ngobo’s sponsorship deal int’it 😀

• Shane Drew

November 10, 2007 at 11:59 am
    quote Phill:

Still – It’s good news about John Ngobo’s sponsorship deal int’it 😀

who? 😮

• John & Dawn Roddick

November 10, 2007 at 1:21 pm
    quote Robert Lambie:

I think it should be designed with the Glasgow East End culture in mind – Burberry check!!

Dawn

• Marcella Ross

November 13, 2007 at 2:00 pm

The organisers of Glasgow’s bid have drawn up an itinerary and schedule
    of events. A copy has been leaked and is reproduced below.

*Opening Ceremony -* The flame will be ignited by a petrol bomb thrown
    by a native of the city (preferably from the Easterhouse area), wearing the
    traditional costume of shell suit, baseball cap and balaclava mask. It
    will burn for the duration of the games in a large chip van situated on the
    roof of the stadium.

*The Events -* In previous games Scotland’s competitors have not been
    particularly successful. In order to redress the balance, some of the
    events have been altered slightly to the advantage of local athletes:

*100 Metres Sprint-* Competitors will have to hold a video recorder
    and microwave oven (one in each arm) and on the sound of the starting
    pistol, a police dog will be released from a cage 10 yards behind the athletes.

*100 Metres Hurdle -* As above but with added obstacles (ie. car
    bonnets, hedges, garden fences, walls etc.)

*Hammer -* Competitors may choose the type of hammer they wish to use
    (claw,sledge, etc) the winner will be the one who can cause the most
    Grievous bodily harm to members of the public within the time allowed.

*Fencing -* Entrants will be asked to dispose of as much stolen silver
    and jewellery as possible in 5 minutes

*Shooting -* A strong challenge is expected from the local men in this
    event. The first target will be a moving police car, the next a post
    office van and then a Securicor wages vehicle.

*Boxing -* Entry to the boxing will be restricted to husband and wife
    teams, and will take place on a Friday night. The husband will be given 15
    pints of Tennents lager while the wife will be told not to make him any tea when
    he gets home. The bout will then commence.

*Cycling Time Trials -* Competitors will break into the University
    bike sheds and take an expensive mountain bike owned by some mummy’s boy
    from the country on his first trip away from home. All against the clock.

*Cycling Pursuit-* As above but the bike will belong to a visiting
    member of the Australian rugby team who will witness the theft.

*Modern Pentathlon -* Amended to include mugging, breaking and
    entering, flashing, joy-riding and arson.

*The Marathon -* A safe route has yet to be decided, but competitors
    will be issued with sharp sticks and bags with which to pick up litter on their
    way round the course.

*Swimming -* Competitors will be thrown off the Clyde Suspension
    Bridge. The first three survivors back will decide the medals.

*Men’s 50km Walk -* Unfortunately this event will have to be cancelled
    as police cannot guarantee the safety of anyone walking the streets of
    Glasgow.

*Closing Ceremony -* Entertainment will include formation rave dancing
    by members of Glasgow Health in the Community anti-drug campaigners,
    synchronised rock throwing and music by the Govan Boys Band.

The flame will be extinguished by someone dropping an old washing machine onto it from
    the top floor of the block of flats next to the stadium. The stadium will
    then be boarded up before the local athletes break into it and remove all
    the copper piping and the central heating boiler.

• David Lowery

November 13, 2007 at 2:08 pm

*rofl*

• Robert Lambie

November 13, 2007 at 2:11 pm
    quote John & Dawn Roddick:

quote Robert Lambie:

I think it should be designed with the Glasgow East End culture in mind – Burberry check!!

Dawn

HEY, IM EAST END.,.. NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! 😕 😉

ACTUALLY, I THINK THE CHECK LOOKS STUNNING ON THE KIDS PLAYING IN THE STREETS AT SKIPPING, ROUNDERS, HOPSKOTCH, TIGG AND DRIVE-BY SHOOTINGS. :lol1: