Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers front loading sp540v?

• front loading sp540v?

Posted by Simon Worrall on June 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Hi All
    Is there any way to reverse the system in Versaworks so the printer can load from the front, so it deposits the printed material out the back end?
    When I got the machine, the techie who put it together set it up the way it is, with the rollers to hold the material behind.
    It seems really wierd that way, because everything about the design of the machine begs you to load it from the front, not the back. Hell, there is even a door to open so you can get your hands in.
    I fumble getting the 5 foot ends of the roll fed into the small slot behind the machine, and it always gets caught on the pinchwheel slot on the way in. Then you run round the front to catch the material before it flops out again.
    I reckon the brackets will fit both ways, so its really only the software preventing this method.
    Simon.

Simon Worrall replied 13 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Mike Grant

June 11, 2010 at 8:58 pm

There is a very simple solution to your problem.
    Load the roll onto the rear roller. Take the leading edge of the vinyl by both corners and slightly bend the first 50mm on each end upwards. This you will find helps with the vinyl feeding through and not getting trapped in the slots and bits and bobs.

• Simon Worrall

June 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for the tip Mike.
    That works okay, but it seems rather odd to design a machine which for all intents and purposes has a front and back, and then to only use it from the back.
    Like disabling the forward gears in a ferrari. Whats the point of that?
    On the PNC plotter there is an easy few clicks way of plotting from the front. Why not the printer? Surely there is a hidden menu in versaworks that allows exactly that.

• Chris Wool

June 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm

its a good point simon as some materials are worse than others.

my graphtec can be loaded from the front.

• David Rogers

June 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm

No way round it. Machine is designed to print forward only.

There will be some firmware that could be specifically written – but no manufacturer on the planet is going to do it for what is a near zero client uptake and also – the wet / fresh print would then get damaged by the pinch rollers.

To add to that – the pre-heater & drying heater orientation, printer body shape…

Your PNC – doesn’t matter what way through the vinyl goes as it’s only getting cut…

I don’t see why you would consider it’s way ‘back to front’ – surely you WANT your newly printed material to the front rather than in a heap at the back of the machine.

I wouldn’t say I struggle getting the vinyl / banner loaded. It is a bit of a pain…but I can deal with doing it …only maybe 30 seconds extra out of my life. I don’t fold the corners – but I do put in ONE corner first then slide it straight.

• Chris Wool

June 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

all good points Dave but you have to agree that the loading could be much improved.
    mainly these machines were designed to put a roll of material in and print till it needs another roll. but as general sign printing type business i may change the material for a different type 5 times a day.

as you say for the 54inch material in at a angle and straighten.

chris

• M Brown

June 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

Hi All,

I stand on a box at the front of my machine to load material. Its makes it a hell of a lot easier. Holding both sides of the media so don’t get finger prints and oils from the finger tips on the media. Hold it taught and slide through, then pull the rest from the front, easy.No more more harder than feeding a 610 roll of vinyl.

Mark

• Gert du Preez

June 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I remove the media clamps if I struggle. It seems the media is very fond of getting snagged in the clamps!

The SP is OK to load, but the VersaArt is a real dog. I normally try to finish the roll in that machine before reloading.

I want a SP300 as well. They are easy to load, and a full roll of media weighs only half that of the 540. Nice for the million jobs a day that needs a media change !!

• Simon Worrall

June 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm

David your last point is the killer, the pinch rollers have to come before the print. I never thought of that.
    Suppose you could only use 2 of them and print to avoid
    Simon