Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat for the bikers north west 200 live practice is go

• Kyle Bennett

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 am

Had a few of my decals whizzin’ round there on Gaz #69’s bike but I guess they where a tad small to see from the aerial shots 🙄

• Shane Drew

May 18, 2009 at 11:01 am

I’m guessing you didn’t want to put that new hip to the test this early Derek?

Looked cold and nasty anyway mate, better off staying indoors. That way you get no rain in your lager :lol1:

• Kyle Bennett

May 18, 2009 at 11:02 am

Anyone who does road racing has a screw loose if you ask me!

Done a fair bit of track but **** doing roads 😮

• Harry Cleary

May 18, 2009 at 11:21 am

Amazed they get any insurance cover at all. Was another tragic event…….doesn’t seem to deter anybody though.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre … tml?via=mr

• Shane Drew

May 18, 2009 at 11:29 am
    quote Harry Cleary:

Amazed they get any insurance cover at all. Was another tragic event…….doesn’t seem to deter anybody though.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre … tml?via=mr

I may be wrong, but I didn’t think you could get insurance for racing, except through the racing organisations, and that would cost a mint.

• Harry Cleary

May 18, 2009 at 11:40 am
    quote Shane Drew:

I may be wrong, but I didn’t think you could get insurance for racing, except through the racing organisations, and that would cost a mint.

Didn’t know that Shane….what about spectators etc?

• Cheryl Smith

May 18, 2009 at 12:03 pm

yep…kewl….screw loose…just about sums it up!!! ive been hanging round people like this all my life yeeehaw!

• Derek Heron

May 18, 2009 at 12:08 pm

hi
    not quite sure how it works but sure the club who runs the event takes out some form of insurance.
    the competitors pay ins with their race entry fee
    but personnel ins is hard to get the company i used and still do is the only one i have ever heard of who actually cover bike racing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7J1FLVVwsA

derek

• Shane Drew

May 18, 2009 at 12:46 pm
    quote Harry Cleary:

Didn’t know that Shane….what about spectators etc?

Over here Harry, entry to a race event is at your own risk. That is the condition of the entry on the ticket.

But, that said, plenty of people would engage a solicitor if they got injured.

Your own life insurance would pay out if you were at the event. Most insurance will not pay if you are participating (just renewed my life insurance before going to the UK, and it does not cover me if I take part in life threatening activity – Racing, sky diving etc.) You can get cover for hobby type activity, but I don’t know anyone here that will insure you if you do it for a living.

Most drivers and teams I know self insure. That is how they’d do it at the race track. Everyone pays into a fund, and the fund is insured against having to pay out.

All very complex. No guarantee that you’d be paid insurance if you did have a misadventure at the track, from a spectators point of view tho.

• Harry Cleary

May 18, 2009 at 12:53 pm
    quote Shane Drew:

(just renewed my life insurance before going to the UK, and it does not cover me if I take part in life threatening activity – Racing, sky diving etc.)

Drinking with Elsmore??? 😀 😀

• Derek Heron

May 18, 2009 at 1:10 pm

think this is on tickets etc at most events or something similar

although i think the spelling is correct on most

Attachments:

• George Elsmore

May 18, 2009 at 1:10 pm

slagging off my good name again Cleary! you will be hearing from my Barrister

• Harry Cleary

May 18, 2009 at 1:53 pm
    quote George Elsmore:

Barrister

Bet you met him at the Bar too! 😀 😀

• George Elsmore

May 18, 2009 at 2:00 pm

very droll :lol1:

• Shane Drew

May 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm
    quote Harry Cleary:

quote George Elsmore:

Barrister

Bet you met him at the Bar too! 😀 😀

come to think of it, I met George at the Bar too 😉

• Craig Gibson

May 19, 2009 at 6:43 pm

have personal insurance to race, mortgage insurance and when signing on to race the North West on tues morn before practice they made me take out more from them or I couldn’t race!!! 😮

ROBBING BAR STEWARDS!

• Peter Normington

May 19, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Disclaimers are not regognised in UK law, in the event of a claim, its down to if the organiser took reasonable care to prevent injury,
    most extreme sports can be insured, mostly through their own associations.Peter

• Derek Heron

May 19, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Hi Craig
    did you not just take it out of your start money!
    they got us with that one as well
    and i lost a front dymag with pfm discs and a brand new slick

gutted to hear the news on Sunday
    R.I.P mark #88
    hope the rest of the guys make a speedy recovery

Derek
    are you at the TT

Derek

• Craig Gibson

May 19, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Start money!!! 😀 😀
    Its not a great track, dont think i will be back.
    No TT this year Derek, no money 🙁 🙁
    Enjoy yourself if your over to watch, up at Glenhelen in the bar is great! 🙂

• Gareth Hankinson

May 20, 2009 at 9:29 pm

I was mechanicing over at the NW200 for SpeedFreak Racing, Paul Shoesmith, wasnt a very good meeting what with all of the accidents and delays, rain and blowing one of our 4 bikes up… DO’h.

Roll on the TT 😛

• Kyle Bennett

May 22, 2009 at 10:11 am
    quote Gareth Hankinson:

I was mechanicing over at the NW200 for SpeedFreak Racing, Paul Shoesmith, wasnt a very good meeting what with all of the accidents and delays, rain and blowing one of our 4 bikes up… DO’h.

Roll on the TT 😛

I think we used to do his decals, found a load of files with his stuff on when I took over the signage side of things, few of you might have heard of us?

ANR Performance? Andy does the race bodywork and I now run ANR Signs for the decals and signage

• Gareth Hankinson

May 22, 2009 at 11:14 am

Ah yes i know who youz are, i did Gaz’s stickers a good few years ago and that was one of them, still got it on file. Small world haha