Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Fixing sign tray to a brick wall

  • Fixing sign tray to a brick wall

    Posted by Dan on March 20, 2023 at 5:16 pm

    Hi guys

    I’ve done this plenty of times but my mind has gone blank.

    What fixings do you use to attach the angle from a sign tray to a brick wall? Stupid question I know as I should know this but I’m blank as to what I see last time.

    Normally I have everything in a box but I can’t find it.

    Paul Walker replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

    March 21, 2023 at 10:22 am

    Hi Dan

    It’s a difficult one to advise correctly because there are many variables to consider when fitting any sign.

    However, if you are fitting a length of aluminium angle to a flat concrete wall, then standard red or brown rawl plugs will do it.

    * Drill a 5mm hole in the brick approximately 50-70mm using a masonry drill and bit.
    * Insert the red rawl plug.
    * Screw through the angle into the plug.

    this will work for most standard-size pan signs. Obviously, you are looking for a snug firm fixing when doing so. if the hole crumbles or feels loose, insert a brown plug rather than a red one and tap in with a hammer.
    When you are installing larger pan or trim signs, or fitting to roughcast walls and the like. You will need longer screw fixings at least because you want a minimum of 50mm grip per fixing so due to the roughcast the screw must be longer as it needs to pass through the trim, the cavity the roughcast causes “then” 50mm into the wall.

    When I fix larger signs, I tend to switch the fixings to concrete screws. Overkill, some will say.
    Whilst other times I “mix plugs and concrete screws” on long narrow pan signs too. and the larger the sign the heavier it becomes.

  • Dan

    March 22, 2023 at 7:02 am

    Thanks Rob

    I ended up finding my little box of goodies. It’s the red and grey wall plugs I use.

  • Paul Walker

    March 22, 2023 at 7:36 pm

    Hi Chaps,

    I’d be more thoughtful as to what your fixings are made of ?

    Zinc coated & yellow passivated styles are only designed for interior/dry use, you need Micro plated or 316 (A4) grade stainless steel fixings for exterior work.

    TIMco do a good range of Multifix Concrete screws & Masonry screws but these are for dry conditions.

    TIMco Multifix Bolts are full exterior hence the difference in costs.

    I wouldn’t use the Screwfix ones shown as they are for interior use and only have a 12month warranty !!

    If you do need to use a plastic plug go for good quality brown size with barbs on not cheap smooth ones, stainless steel screws and a stainless steel washer to stop the screw head pulling through the ali.

Log in to reply.