Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Extending the distance from the computer to CE6000 vinyl cutter

• Extending the distance from the computer to CE6000 vinyl cutter

Posted by Daniel Evans on August 12, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Hi all

Just moved to a new unit and I’m getting everything organised.

One issue i have is with one of my printers (OKI Laser with white ink) and my CE6000 vinyl cutter, both need a usb cable.

Any ideas how I can extend these…? Can I user a usb to rj45 cable? Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks

Dan

Luke Culpin replied 4 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • David Hammond

August 12, 2019 at 1:39 pm

You can get USB extension cables. We’ve done that in the past.

From memory, it can cause some issues with the speed the data is transferred to the device.

There are some ‘print server’ devices, which turn a USB device into a IP, but depends if the software you’re using will recognise it.

• Daniel Evans

August 12, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Thank David

I used the extension in the past with the old ce5000 and that used to cause issues when cutting a number of labels, I always had to cut it down to otherwise the cutter would go crazy.

Not looked at the print server route yet, I’ll look into that.

• David Stevenson

August 12, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Look for an extension cable with a repeater built into it. This amplifiers the signal been sent.

• Iain Pearson

August 12, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Can’t you just rearrange things so that the PC is nearer the machine ?

• Daniel Evans

August 12, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Come on Iain, that would be to easy.

I’ve done the layout of my office multiple times and I finally got to the point where I got everything in and comfortable.

To be fair, the cutter is next to my desk, I just don’t want the wire going across another computer. I’ve just bought some USB wall sockets (not the charging ones you get on normal plugs) so that I can plug the cable in from my computer end, the extension would then be in the wall and to another wall plug, finally from that plug to the cutter. I’ve done this for the other USB printer and the same kind of plugs for the ethernet connections meaning no wires anywhere. Just hope it works

• Luke Culpin

August 12, 2019 at 9:18 pm

What kind of distance are you talking? You can buy printer usb cables at almost any length I believe, I run one of our cutters down a 20m cable with no issues at all!