Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Expensive first lesson of 2017…

• Expensive first lesson of 2017…

Posted by David Hammond on January 3, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Is to fill in a vehicle condition report when the customer drops a van off.

Had a customer today to claim we’ve cracked their windscreen whilst fitting the vinyl.

We can’t prove it wasn’t there on delivery, and that we didn’t do it.

Ian Johnston replied 7 years, 3 months ago 12 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Daniel Evans

January 3, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Ouch, do you have a form or does anyone have one they can share, I’m sure this will happen to all of us at some point

• David Hammond

January 3, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I’ve not it was always one of those things to do.

Will knock one up tomorrow.

• Daniel Evans

January 3, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Same as, one of those things you never get round to doing

• Simon Worrall

January 3, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I wouldnt think it was possible to crack a windscreen while fitting vinyl

• Phill Fenton

January 3, 2017 at 10:07 pm

This is something I’ve thought about too. I have been accused of scratching a customers vehicle on a couple of occasions. I knew for sure I hadn’t done it so stood my ground even though the customer was convinced I had done it. There’s not a lot they can do other than raise a court action if you deny responsibility, but if they honestly believe you did it (even if you didnt) it is damaging to your reputation. Conversely only last summer I cracked a customers windscreen with my knee when fitting graphics above the screen. I owned up to it immediately and put a claim through my insurance to pay for the repair.

• Martin Pearson

January 3, 2017 at 11:24 pm

I have nearly done the same as Phill when fitting above windscreens, it has to be one of the most awkward areas to get at especially if like me you work on your own.

I have also been accused of scratching a customers vehicle while fitting vinyl, job was done at a dealership & they told the customer that they had inspected the van prior to me fitting the vinyl & there was absolutely no damage at that time so it had to be me. They went on to tell the customer that I had done it with my squeegee while applying.

There were scratches between each letter on the drivers door, soon as I looked at it I knew it couldn’t have been me as the application tape would have covered where the scratches were.
    Removing one of the middle letters showed the scratches under the letter, the dealership didn’t have an answer to that one & although they wouldn’t admit it was them they paid for the repair.

• David Hammond

January 4, 2017 at 8:17 am

Customer is claiming their excess is £190 for a new windscreen (Very strange amount for an excess) and we’ve had quotes in of about half that to replace the screen.

• David Hammond

January 4, 2017 at 8:46 am

Quick form I’ve cobbled together, idea being drop the outline of the vehicle onto it, mark any damage.

I’ve included date & time, incase you drive their vehicles & the event of speeding ticket or similar.

Attachments:

• Martin Pearson

January 4, 2017 at 9:36 am

Then tell the customer you will have it fixed if you can get it done cheaper, if they are genuine it shouldn’t be a problem. If they insist then ask to see their insurance with the claimed 190 excess 😆 😆

Probably best to stick them on your black list as well 😆 😆 😆 😆

• David Hammond

January 4, 2017 at 9:38 am

Already on with that Martin 😆 Going to ask to see the proof of the excess either way I suspect it’s not what they say.

• Jasper McEwan

January 4, 2017 at 9:43 am

Ouch! Very sorry to hear that David.

quote David Hammond:

Going to ask to see the proof of the excess

Definitely worth asking for proof, you may find you wont hear from them again!

• Robert Lambie

January 4, 2017 at 9:45 am
    quote Jasper McEwan:

Ouch! Very sorry to hear that David.

quote David Hammond:

Going to ask to see the proof of the excess

Definitely worth asking for proof, you may find you wont hear from them again!

I agree on that one too!

• Martin Pearson

January 4, 2017 at 9:48 am

I know insurance varies a lot but when I had my screen replaced in 2015 I didn’t pay anything, sure the Company that fitted it said my normal excess charges didn’t apply to glass replacement. My excess was pretty high at the time so I was expecting to have to pay for the full repair 😆 😆

• David Hammond

January 4, 2017 at 9:51 am

Even high excesses will be a nice round figure, £1000, £1250, £100, £150, not £190 :awkward:

• Phill Fenton

January 4, 2017 at 10:35 am

By footing the bill you are effectively accepting liability which leaves you wide open to every wide boy small business operator in your area. Word soon gets around. If you know you aren’t responsible tell them so

• Martin Cole

January 4, 2017 at 12:12 pm
    quote David Hammond:

Had a customer today to claim we’ve cracked their windscreen whilst fitting the vinyl.

Out of interest where abouts on the van were you fitting vinyl, I take it it must have been above the screen?
    I think you would have known if youd have cracked it.

Sounds like a chancer to me especially with the suspicious excess…personally I wouldn’t pay.

I had pr**k of a customer many years ago who accused me of cracking some glass on his double glased entrance doors while fitting the opening times :shake: we had a shouting match and nearly came to blows. no way on earth was I paying.

All part of being in business I guess, these things are all sent to test us and hopefully learn from them so it doesn’t happen again.

• David Hammond

January 4, 2017 at 12:36 pm

That’s the thing we don’t know if we did or didn’t do it. Yes vinyl fitted above the cab on the van.

Refusing to pay won’t do us any favours either, court with no reasonable evidence that we didn’t do it, is a waste of time.

For £100 get it fixed, and change how we do things so there is no next time.

• Martin Cole

January 4, 2017 at 1:01 pm
    quote David Hammond:

That’s the thing we don’t know if we did or didn’t do it. Yes vinyl fitted above the cab on the van.

Refusing to pay won’t do us any favours either, court with no reasonable evidence that we didn’t do it, is a waste of time.

For £100 get it fixed, and change how we do things so there is no next time.

Hmmm….tricky one. Easy to advise sitting at your desk. Maybe your right for a 100 quid pay up learn and move on

• David Hammond

January 4, 2017 at 1:09 pm

My thinking too. Unfortunately we’re learning that we can’t take everyone in good faith.

There’s those who change the specification and vary the job, and expect it for the same price, those who are determined not to pay, and those who see an opportunity to make a few quid.

That’s part of being in business, and it’s down to us as business owners to minimise the risk… not easy when you’re busy, and it feels like covering your own backside is taking up time.

• George Neagu

January 4, 2017 at 2:27 pm

This is an important lesson to learn as a sign fitter. Unfortunately, sometimes it happens too late and it might cost you.

Years ago I have installed some cut vinyl on a massive window panel.
    After few weeks I went back to remove it. Hours later my manager got a phone call saying I have ruined the glass panel, there are scratches everywhere, and it cost £3k to replace it.
    I knew the scratches were there before, I went back and I checked the panel with the man who reported me.
    The scratches were all over the place including the areas where no vinyl was ever applied. Even the adjacent panels were scratched all over. I guess because I cleaned the glass at the end made the scratches to show up.
    We agreed it wasn’t my fault but I’ve learnt the lesson.

First thing first inspect all around you. Any damages you notice, just point with your finger before you start doing any work, especially when on do work on glass. Customers don’t notice/forget about scratches on glass, you put the sign on (or remove it), they come to check the work and see a scratch and 100% will be you (in their head).

Or sometimes I take pictures of damages with my phone and keep them for several months or a year. It’s a good idea for vans too.

• Ian Johnston

January 4, 2017 at 6:01 pm

At least it was only a van windscreen !!!,
    Word of advice , if fitting vinyl to the bonnet of £220k Subaru s14 wrc, make sure and close the bonnet clips again when finished !!!
    £5k for a new window and special lightweight bonnet and associated bits . Didn’t get allowed for the graphics either !! :shocked:

Attachments:

• Phill Fenton

January 4, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Now you see Ian, if you’d got him to sign a chitty with a diagram of the car and a series of ticks everywhere there was a mark, you could’ve added crosses onto the windscreen and bonnet areas of the chitty to convince him it was like that when he dropped it off and got away with it. ..

• John Singh

January 5, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Wow!

What a way to start the year! 🙁

Interesting what George says: If you do notice scratches whether windows, paintwork or motors point it out first BEFORE doing any work

This is what I do

David: I’ve grabbed your vehicle check form – Thanks :thumbsup:

• James Phillips

January 6, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Ian,

i wouldn’t have wanted to be the person to tell Mr Mckinstry what happened!

• Ian Johnston

January 7, 2017 at 8:35 am

He was the one who told me, he had just driven it 2 miles down the road after collecting it when it happened.
    These things happen, no one was hurt, that’s why it important to have a good insurance company,
    NFU Mutual , highly recommend,