• Excalibur 5000

Posted by Ryan Fairweather on August 22, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Does anyone have any experience of these and their effectiveness?

Need a cutter for mainly foam board that is cost effective and does the job really.

Any opinions or alternatives are very welcome

cheers

Ryan 😀

Nick Cliffe replied 16 years, 8 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Lorraine Clinch

August 22, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Love mine! Only drawback-can’t cut longer than about 5 foot. Excellent for Dibond types.

• Chris Wool

August 22, 2007 at 4:34 pm

had mine a couple of years has not really lived up to expectation until i had another moan at them, and they gave me some new type blades.
    that cured most of the problems.
    but if you tried to take it away from me i would kick a scream the house down.
    yes it does do 3mm diabond with care.

chris

• Ryan Fairweather

August 22, 2007 at 4:43 pm

was thinking about going for the Javelin to start with after some thought as there are varied reviews on the cut accuracy etc… with the Excalibur.

May get one at a later date….decisions decisions 😕

• Derek Heron

August 22, 2007 at 5:01 pm

hi Ryan
    there is an alternative to the excalibur 5000
    seen them at sign uk
    fletcherfsc cutter their website is
    http://www.fletcherviscom.com/en/
    i think around £1600 but not sure if that was a show price
    i had a go at cutting diabond and it was easy with nice finished edges
    i would love either

Derek

• Alan Drury

August 22, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I saw those and was impressed, I have the Keencut and I reckon the Fletcher was better on first look. I have found Keencut to be very good on support though.
    Alan D

• Nicola McIntosh

August 22, 2007 at 11:46 pm

i have one and love it for the quick last minute jobs using the scrap material in workshop……but ive mentioned on earlier threads, the cut can be a bit ‘cut at an angle’ i still get it time to time when i rush…so i take it would work fine if i slowed down 😉

nik

• Chris Wool

August 22, 2007 at 11:52 pm

Nik ask them for some new type blades they cured that problem, they gave me some at the show this year

chris

• Nicola McIntosh

August 23, 2007 at 8:31 am

thanks chris 😉

nik

• David McDonald

August 23, 2007 at 11:32 am

Hi we got one at the show and as others have said we wouldn’t be without out. Looked at the Fletcher one and tried both but the Keencut one just felt smoother when cutting?

A very worthwhile investment – sure ours has paid for itself by now.

Cheers
    Macky

• Nick Cliffe

August 23, 2007 at 5:24 pm

If I’d had one of these years ago, I wouldn’t have cut the end off my finger!!

I wanted one so much that I drove from Shropshire to Scotland for it!! It was hardly used and a bit of a bargain. I did find when first using it (Excalibur 5000) that it was a bit tricky to line the cut up exactly where I wanted it, and made one or two costly mistakes, but I eventually got the hang of it! A bit of practice on waste materials is worth the time. It’s a quality bit of kit, but pity about the 5ft height restriction tho.

One of the great things about it is that its wall mounted, so doesn’t take up space – like others I wouldn’t part with mine either. 😀

Nick

• Nick Cliffe

August 23, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Just thought of something else that may help if you are looking for a Keencut – I found mine via the Fine Art Guild (http://www.fineart.co.uk/Classifieds.asp) as a lot of picture framing businesses use them. Seems they often start a business as it seems like a nice relaxed thing to do, find it doesn’t pay and then eventually sell up.

Good luck,

Nick