Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics Epson 9700 Pro – Thoughts

• Epson 9700 Pro – Thoughts

Posted by David Hammond on February 28, 2017 at 11:53 am

The opportunity has arisen to purchase an Epson 9700 pro from a customer of ours.

They’ve owned it from new, and hardly used it, and want to clear out the office it’s housed in.

I’ve run Roland, and now our OKI solvent machine, but this could be good for the poster printing we do, quicker & cheaper, and probably better quality too, so could print art prints, and print plans quickly & cheaply.

I’ve not the faintest idea when it comes to these machines.

What’s the general thought on them?

David Hammond replied 7 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Ian Judge

February 28, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Hi David,

Although I am a newbie in the Vinyl Cutting world….. printing….. Now thats my thing !

I have ONLY ever used Epson printers as and where ever possible from the small desk tops right up to the Wide Format Stylus Pro 9900 (except for my HP 8000S Eco Solvent printer (currently clogged!) as Epson not so good on Solvent printing!)

In my humble but experienced opinion, Epson are by far THE BEST inket printers available, If I were you I would not hesitate! (price being right ofcourse!)

As with all inkjets, if you want to keep them printing well, good quality and few problems….. fire it up minimum once a day and just print a random pattern that you can make on corel or similar to ensure it prints a sample page ranging through all of its printable colours, this will ensure the heads remain unblocked which is about the only problem you will ever face with an Epson printer !…… Just wish I remembered to do that with my HP 8000s !! :rollseyes:

• David Hammond

February 28, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Been to see the printer. It’s had little use, and stood for 6months. A few cleans later and all the heads are OK, except Cyan which a few more cleans will sort I suspect.

Price is great as they want it out the way, and will save us firing up the Seiko for poster work, and take some pressure off that machine.

• Unknown Member

February 28, 2017 at 3:24 pm

That’s a good little machine mate.

Excellent for printing canvas and poster…..

• Ewan Chrystal

February 28, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Cracking printer. I had one for a while, great for posters and canvass as said

• David Hammond

February 28, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Excellent!

Curious how it will compare price & speed wise against our solvent machine?

• Ian Judge

February 28, 2017 at 5:47 pm
    quote David Hammond:

Been to see the printer. It’s had little use, and stood for 6months. A few cleans later and all the heads are OK, except Cyan which a few more cleans will sort I suspect.

Price is great as they want it out the way, and will save us firing up the Seiko for poster work, and take some pressure off that machine.

If you have unclogged the Magenta all should be good, Magenta is always the hardest to clear for some reason ! Few more goes on the Cyan and yes, should be fine to say it stood still for 6 months !

• James Boden

March 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

I can’ t recommend these printers enough. I have a 9600 sat here in the office and although it’s currently out of commission I ran so much work through it and had very few problems.

If anyone is good at repairing these/or know them inside out please let me know as I’d love to have it back up and running.

• David Hammond

March 3, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Customer has checked they’ve paid off the machine, and we’re snapping it for a bargain considering it’s low usage.

I’m hoping we can print A2-A0 posters borderless posters and have them all trimmed out the machine, which will help.

Where’s best to source ink & consumables for Epson?

• David Hammond

March 10, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Picked up the printer today.

It’s done 82 pages since new, managed to get 3 full cartridges & 2 rolls of media in the price too, which was a bonus!

Been playing this afternoon trying to get it to print. Think we’ve a feed calibration issue, and can’t print A0 border less, and that’s the only roll I have at the moment.

Might pop in tomorrow and see what I can suss out.