Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Emseal 810 ok for vinyl lamination?

• Emseal 810 ok for vinyl lamination?

Posted by Peter Edwards on September 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Hi All,

I’ve found an attractive offer on an Emseal 810 Laminator and am wondering if anybody has one and whether its ok to laminate normal vehicle wrap vinyl with?? Any gotchas?

I’ve been looking through the manual I found on the manufacturers website and don’t see any way to turn off the heat for instance? Can you turn the hot shoes down to room temp at least or apply just a little heat (i.e. not enough to wreck the vinyl)? Also the manual focuses on encapsulation and doesn’t really mention lamination, anybody have any experience with that etc?

Lastly it uses hot shoes and not heated rollers down this cause any scratches on the laminate or is it ok in general?

Cheers all!

Peter Edwards replied 15 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • David McDonald

September 12, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Hi Mate

We have an Emseal laminator and have laminated 1000’s of metres worth of digital print with it, always cold though, never needed to use the hot shoes, although ours has a heater switch on/off and variable dial for the temperature if you need it.

Cheers
    Macky

• David McDonald

September 12, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Oh and the vinyl runs over the hot shoes whether or not they are switched on and they have never scratched the vinyl in any way.

• Peter Edwards

September 12, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Cheers for that, looks a goer then!

Just by way of confirmation is yours the same as this …..

http://www.emseal.com.au/Products/Lamin … hermal.htm

Ta

• Peter Edwards

September 12, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Sorry if the questions are a bit ‘noob’, I’m learning as I go 🙂 🙂

• Kevin Waite

September 12, 2008 at 7:03 pm

I have an Emseal 810 laminator and works fine for laminating digital print. I use the heat on just to warm the vinyl slightly to reduce silvering. But be carefull as the lowest heat setting is too hot, so I let the shoes get warm and then turn the heater off. A bit hit and miss but seams to work well.

Kev

• Ian Bingham

September 12, 2008 at 7:11 pm

once they are set up right they work a treat!!

Ian

• Peter Edwards

September 12, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Brill, cheers for the info chaps 🙂

• Richard Urquhart

September 12, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Can I ask how much these cost .

• Peter Edwards

September 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm

I’ve seen them new for £1500

• Kevin Waite

September 13, 2008 at 7:31 am

I bought mine 2nd hand for £500.

• Ian Bingham

September 13, 2008 at 8:37 am

new there about 950
    Ian

• Peter Edwards

September 13, 2008 at 9:28 am

Ian, where did you see them new for £950? I’ve missed a trick! 🙂

• Peter Edwards

September 15, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Hi Chaps,

Confused as to what model this laminator actually is now. Place who is selling it reckons its a Emseal Thermal Laminator. Did Emseal sell a take up roller addon or something? Bit worried this won’t be able to laminate the digital vehicle film I’d like to use it with…

I’m a bit to far away to visit at the moment as my other half just had our 2nd son! 🙂

Cheers!

Pete

• Kevin Waite

September 15, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Hi Pete
    Mine is the one in your picture and it is an Emseal 810. I believe they sold it either with the take up roller or without. If you remove the take up roller it looks exactly the same except the side plates stick up either side a bit more. I don’t use the take up roller at all and only use the laminator for laminating digital vinyl.

Kev

• Peter Edwards

September 15, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Thanks Kevin,

Sorry if this is a silly question but if your laminating digitally printed vinyl on the one side I’m guessing your using pressure sensitive film and not thermal stuff.

Therefore your laminate would have a ‘backing’ of some sort which is what would go round the take up roller. Why would you opt not to use the roller or am I missing something (which is very likely!) ? 🙂

Do you feed anything through from the bottom roller to stop any adhesive going onto the nip rollers?

An finally is there any way to set the nip roller pressure as I couldn’t see any mention of that in the manual?

Cheers!

Pete

• Chris Wool

September 15, 2008 at 11:22 pm

pete a laminator is very good at waisting a lot of laminate between prints and unless you are laminating long runs best not to load completely.

so if i have 3 feet to laminate i cut off 3ft and feed manually when some of the laminates are £6 a mt it adds up

chris

• Peter Edwards

September 15, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Chris, yes I was wondering the same! What I’ll be up to will initially be dribs and drabs so keeping it manual makes sense. Cheers

• Kevin Waite

September 17, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Hi Pete
    I do exactly what chris said as he is the one the showed me how I should be laminating my prints.
    You can adjust the pressure slightly as you have a clamp on ethier end of the rollers with 2 springs on each and 2 allen screws to adjust on each clamp. But after I set it up initially. I never adjust this anymore and it works fine. The laminate I use tends to be the matching laminate to the vinyl I use e.g Metamark MD5 & Metaguard 700. One thing I did notice and it did cause me some problems. The rear roller on my laminator runs at a slightly different speed to the front rollers, The number of teeth on the sprockets are different sizes and this was causing the vinyl to stretch slightly, so I removed the top rear roller and just use the front rollers and now don’t have any problems with it at all.

Kev

• Peter Edwards

September 17, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Kevin,

Cheers for the handy tip!