Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics Easymount Sign 1400h any good?

• Easymount Sign 1400h any good?

Posted by Ewan Evans on March 23, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a new laminator and my preference so far is the Easymount Sign 1400 hot and would like to hear owners thoughts on these machines. At the moment I have a Seal Ultra 44 hot / cold laminator and a Drytac Jetmounter 54 with the single adjuster. The Seal is being sold on to a colleague as it’s too small for me now which is a shame as it’s an amazing piece of kit and I am going to keep the Jetmounter for board mounting as I don’t want to damage the rollers running dibond panels through a new machine.

Are the Sign series any good? I have also been looking at the Monster MW1600 which seems a good buy.

Cheers

Ewan

Kevin Mahoney replied 7 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

March 23, 2017 at 10:52 pm

I had a demo on the easymount at Papergraphics but went against it… You should also consider the Mounters Mate laminator.
    I have one, great bit of kit, easy to setup/use, and competitive priced too.

$this->BBvideo_pass(‘$8’, ‘$4’, ‘$7’)

• Ewan Evans

March 23, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Funny you should mention that Robert as I was looking at them just after posting my question. The Mounter’s Mate does look good but never really heard of people using them, always seems to be GMP, Seal or Easymount, that obviously doesn’t mean they are’t good but I want something tried and tested. The deal I am being offered for the Easymount is pretty good I reckon at £2695+vat, not sure how the Mounter’s Mate compares to this but I will try to give them a call tomorrow if I get a chance.

Ewan

• Robert Lambie

March 23, 2017 at 11:46 pm

our other laminator is a seal, came via B&P lightbrigade many moons ago…

had my demo on the easymount and just didnt do it for me. the mounters mate is just so much easier to setup and tracking is bang on.

do not get me wrong, i am normally the first to preach go for big brands etc but at the same time… i just got stung hard by a big brand from a big uk supplier on other machinery who was supposed to also be supplying my a new laminator as well. While that mess was getting sorted out i went with Omar at Mounters Mate and very glad i did.

I have since learned that the same big supplier are now including the Mounters Mate in their product lists. :smiles:

• Ewan Evans

March 23, 2017 at 11:58 pm

It definitely looks a good piece of kit and being pneumatic is a big bonus but I doubt it will be as cheap as the 1400h sign version, I know you get what you pay for but that’s all I can stretch to at this moment in time.

I will contact Omar tomorrow and get some information on it. One thing that draws me to the Easymount is the resale value which is pretty strong if looked after.

Ewan

• Chris Wilson

March 24, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Hi Ewan,
    We did a lot of looking around and decided to go with a Mounters Mate. I did look at the same easy mount as you. Excited to get ours up the road. Should be here in the next week or so.

• Hugh Potter

March 24, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I have a 1400SH which I bought along with my 2nd user HP Latex, I rarely ever use the hot feature to be honest but otherwise I like the machine. Once you get over the fear of / are used to setting it up right, it’s rarely any bother.

• Hugh Potter

March 24, 2017 at 12:33 pm

ps, hoping to look at the mounters mate flatbed workstation, not for an immediate purchase but if I move to the unit I have in mind, I should have space for one, I rarely have heavy enough production to warrant it but it’ll certainly be much better for when I have to flood 10×5 composite with print on my own!!

• Ewan Evans

March 26, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hugh do you reckon the hit version would be a waste of the extra cash? Vivid are doing a really good special offer on the Sign 1400c version. I was thinking the hot version to reduce silvering but there’s £700 of a difference.

Cheers

Ewan

• Hugh Potter

March 26, 2017 at 7:17 pm

I rarely use the heated roller, maybe a handful of times in the first few months!

• Ewan Evans

March 26, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Tempted to go for the cold version now, £700 is better in my pocket if there’s no need to spend it. My Seal Ultra 44 does hot lamination but I never use it as it’s hard to keep the tension without a proper take up roller for the backing paper so it can be a bit of a hassle.

Ewan

• Mike Thornley

March 27, 2017 at 9:24 am

I bought a 1400h about 9 months ago – new.

Always works better with the heated roller, never had any problems etc

• Hugh Potter

March 27, 2017 at 10:37 am
    quote Mike Thornley:

I bought a 1400h about 9 months ago – new.

Always works better with the heated roller, never had any problems etc

Hi Mike,
    When you say it works better heated, can you expand on what is better?

From my experience there is less silvering, I could even suggest that it went on a bit easier / smoothed itself on the roller better than cold… though I did find that unless tension is 100% right, you can end up stretching the laminate, then when it cools the lamainate curls the print..

• Mike Thornley

March 27, 2017 at 11:49 am

Hi

Yes less slivering and the heat make the laminate softer so does seem to go on better and smoother on the rollers.
    Yes we do get a little curl, but nothing excessive.

• Hugh Potter

March 27, 2017 at 12:49 pm
    quote Mike Thornley:

Hi

Yes less slivering and the heat make the laminate softer so does seem to go on better and smoother on the rollers.
    Yes we do get a little curl, but nothing excessive.

ok thanks, If I recall, one reason I kept it cold was because I’m switching the different laminates (poly, mono, matt, gloss, 54", 48" etc) quite often when busy, it made it harder to load accurately when the roller was hot, so I just left it cold but I’ll try it hot again next time I’m laminating!

Best
    Hugh

• Kevin Mahoney

March 27, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I’ve got the easy mount 1600, it’s ok but I preferred my old jetmounter from drytac. Not as good in quality as a Seal but earned its keep admirably over 10 years. Only changed it when I bought 64" printers & had wider prints to do. Silvering is gone after a day or so, never really been an issue for me but I guess that’s a personal preference & how quickly you fit the prints after laminating. I generally fit the day after.