Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Does anybody have experience of using the Avery 6904?

• Does anybody have experience of using the Avery 6904?

Posted by John Childs on June 18, 2003 at 2:32 pm

Does anybody have experience of using the Avery 6904 Easy Apply vinyl?

Is it any good or are there any pitfalls I should be looking out for?

I am considering using it instead of ControlTac 180.

Martin Pearson replied 20 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

June 18, 2003 at 6:01 pm

i have used contral-tac a great many times john..
    never really found it any better than what i use now.. infact i do still prefer my mactac and oracal vinyls which i use daily.

the telewest order we do and the warburtons job in the demo area was control-tac.

avery i cant comment on.. i hardly use it. so not fair to knock it..
    the easyapply! well whats hard about applying vinyl in the first place, i dont mean for everyone new to the trade.. just when the likes of you and i do this everyday, so we should walk it mate..
    get yourself some quality calendar vinyls and save yourself a packet.
    this gimmick stuff may work to an extent but its just another way to up the cost.

both 3M & avery are excellent vinyls. have exstensive colour ranges and great life values.. but are they really worth using daily for each and every van.. in my opion no. but that doesnt mean to say i dont se them.
    i had to buy 3m stuff just last week for the haig transport job.. about £17.50 a metre! 😮 other than the colour matched the one i needed i wasnt up nor down as far as easy of application /performance.

can i ask why you choose to use these ranges of viny. is it preferrence, cost, or customer spec? just being nosey mate..

when it comes to vinyl, i have my eyes wide open for improvements.

• John Childs

June 18, 2003 at 10:27 pm

Rob,

We are not thinking of using this as an every day vinyl. It is for a largish contract we are quoting where the customer won’t sit still for a calendered. It must be the equal of, or very nearly so, to ControlTac, which is what they are currently using.

Now, we hate ControlTac. Although we have no problems fitting it satisfactorily my boys would prefer to use almost anything else.

We have had a demo of the Avery 6904 and if it lives up to the bull it is wonderful stuff. We have also had some samples to play with and, although they were admittedly small bits, my lads were reasonably impressed.

My interest is that they reckon that they could do a van in less time than they can with ControlTac, which obviously improves my profit. The cost of the Avery is about £4 per meter cheaper as well, which at 10 metres per van all goes to make a big difference in overall cost.

The other reason for looking at Avery is that when we had a serious problem in the past the back-up and support we had from Avery and Cox Plastics was outstanding, even though the problems we encountered in that case were not really the fault of either of them.

This is a fairly new material and one of which we have no experience, so I wondered if anyone on the board had used it and, if so, whether they had any comments before I commit big chunks of money, and our reputation, to it.

• Mobilewraps

June 18, 2003 at 10:30 pm

Hi John,

I use the Avery 1005 EZ apply a fair bit. It is very good to work with as you can re-position it heaps (I have lifted and re-applied sections of it over 20 times when applying to vehicles and it still stuck down in the end).
    It is also easy to remove bubbles and trapped air from.
    It is also good with heat when applying to recesses, you can really “cook” it.
    The main thin I have found is once you have applied it you must go over the and re-squeegee the whole area with lots of pressure. I have been told (I don’t know if it is true) that when you apply lots of pressure the small dots of adhesive on the back of the vinyl break open and spread / release an agressive adhesive which gives it the final bond / adhesion to the surface.

Scott

• John Childs

June 19, 2003 at 8:52 am

Hi Scott.

They say to apply serious pressure around the edges of the decals and also on any overlaps. You can find the Product Data Sheet and the Application instructions here

http://europe.averygraphics.com/mainFL. … ProdID=337

• Martin Pearson

June 19, 2003 at 7:04 pm

Hi John, I dont have any experience with controltac so cant compare the two but we have done about 11 vehicles for the local ANC with the new livery which is screenprinted onto avery 6904 EZ and I would be happy applying it at any time.
    Its very forgiving and as long as you dont squeegee it to hard when you first apply it will lift so you can reposition it quite easily.
    We were applying contour cut graphics about two and a half metres by a metre and the application tape had so much play in it we were sure it would cause all sorts of problems but we never really had any.
    We had a couple of graphics that had really large bubbles when we took the application tape off, the sort where with most vinyls you cant avoid leaving some sort of mark or small crease and they just seemed to disapear without trace, we couldn’t believe it.
    It also went into all the recesses a treat as well and we gave it a really good heat to ensure it stayed put.
    The only problem we did have was that if you were not careful it was quite easy to rub the inks off but having read other posts on printing and screenprinting vinyls this happens with most vinyls. I would have like to have seen the graphics treated with a liquid laminate like frog juice as I think this would have helped a great deal.