Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Difficulty getting good colour from Roland VP 540

• Difficulty getting good colour from Roland VP 540

Posted by Peter Cox on June 23, 2010 at 7:44 am

We have a Roland SP 540 and a Roland VP 540. The SP has always produced excellent, accurate and vivid colours. The VP, however, prints dull and is nowhere near the colours we get off the SP, regardless of which profile we use, even if we use an identical profile to the SP. This is especially apparent when printing bitmaps that contain a lot of blue. The blues come out purple. Both are run from independent computers and both use Versaworks RIP software. Any Clues?

Gert du Preez replied 13 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • John Thomson

June 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Why not swap computers? If the problem is still there then it is down to the printers…..if not then it is a computer/software/profile issue.

John

• David Rogers

June 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Are they on a LAN?

two minute job to change the IP from one printer to the other and send the same job from the same PC to both printers.

Granted, if versaworks (I use wasatch) identifies one as an SP and the other as a VP then the profiles may not really be the same.

it’s pretty common to get what you’d swear should be dark blues to come out a bit overly purple (I have an SP540 running as a cadet)…nature of the beast…much like oranges always look a bit dodgy.

• DonMarco

June 24, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I’m using only VP.540 and once this happened also to me.

My problem was solved with upgrading BIOS in plotter and with reinstalling PC with new windows and good anti virus program.

Also I learned that it’s good to restart regularly PC from which I’m printing…I didn’t reset my PC for maybe a month…and during this time I got some strange prints…

Try maybe also with printing from other PC for SP.540 if your VP.540 is on network…

Are you using original cartridges? Is Versaworks same version on both PC’s?

Did you print same file on both plotters?

As I remember SP.540 and VP.540 are using same cartridges…am I wright?

Sasha

• Peter Normington

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm
    quote DonMarco:

I’m using only VP.540 and once this happened also to me.

My problem was solved with upgrading BIOS in plotter and with reinstalling PC with new windows and good anti virus program.

Also I learned that it’s good to restart regularly PC from which I’m printing…I didn’t reset my PC for maybe a month…and during this time I got some strange prints…

Try maybe also with printing from other PC for SP.540 if your VP.540 is on network…

Are you using original cartridges? Is Versaworks same version on both PC’s?

Did you print same file on both plotters?

As I remember SP.540 and VP.540 are using same cartridges…am I wright?

Sasha

that seams a bit of a drastic measure, reinstalling your o/s
    Why would an antivirus program help?

• DonMarco

June 25, 2010 at 10:04 am

Hi Peter

In my case after trying every idea how to solve the problem I had to reinstall Windows PC which I didn’t for last two years. Also I installed Kaspersky antivirus which found some viruses which attyked WIndows DLL’s…so fastest and easiest way was to reinstall PC.

Actually before I used one PC on which I made design and I was also printing from it. Now I have two separated PC’s….one to work in Adobe programs and second just for RIP program.

Sasha

• Gert du Preez

June 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I also have a similar problem.

I run a SP540 and Versa Art 640 (same printing technology as the VP, minus the vinyl cutter). The SP is now 18 months old, the VP 7 months.

I run both from one pc, on VersaWorks.

From day one the SP prints much higher quality,especially with dark solids (red, blue, black etc) The prints on the sp is solid, that of the RS is grainy.

• Matt Boyd

June 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm

i was talking to my tech guy who is here installing some new equipment right now and he said the older sp has a different head. it fires a finer ink pattern giving better quality. the vp and other newer printers use a different head that can fire i think 3 different patterns and the quality suffers a little. he said the ultimate was the old, old sp printers…great quality but just slow. anyways, thats what the roland tech said.

• Gert du Preez

June 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I’m not aware of differences in the heads, but there is a very definite quality difference.

I noticed that the new look SP is about 50% faster than the old on the same quality. (3,0 vs 4.5 m2 per hour) – both with 2 heads. I would like to see a quality comparison between these two!

The Versa Art is similarly 50% faster than the VP. (Both 4 heads)

I also noticed the VersaArt consume about 25% less ink than the SP on an identical job. Maybe that explains the prints being more grainy?

Could it be down to firmware differences??